Brents 150 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make sure you have a filter sock on the drain pipe to catch gunk.
For the pump, you'll have to throttle it back until the drain rate matches the flow from the pump. If you open it up the whole way you'll empty the sump into the display.

I think we may be on different pages, I have a dc pump controlling my skimmer that pumps water from my sump to my skimmer and back to my sump I currently have if at 3 of 6 with the gate valve 3/4 open and it sometimes overflows the skimmer cup I should turn the pump up to 6 of 6 and open the gate valve 100% and let the water run through my skimmer cup out the drain plug into a filter sock and back into the sump?

Either way it is going to continue with this behavior due to the tune in period. Your restriction should be behind the pump. Opening it up fully shouldn't cause it to overflow more, as the restricting is what is raising the level so your skimmer can skim.

Hey everyone, I'm very frustrated with my layout of my tank, the egg crate is very irritating, the rock work does not look good to me anymore and I am having a diatom bloom, before I do anything what are the downsides of me pulling out fish and coral and putting them in a holding container, taking out all the rock, removing the egg crate and re doing the rock work in a fashion that works better for me?

I have about 50 gallons of freshly made saltwater ready to go and will do a water change right after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is the egg crate irritating? All that it does is base to prevent the bottom from being damaged if there is a shift in the rocks. Is the crate showing? Adjusting the flow to prevent sand from being blown away will help. Maybe adding some more sand even. Removing the rock and egg crate will just stir up problems.

When I place the powerheads high enough that they don't blow the sand off the egg crate I get algae and diatoms growing on the sand bed, when I place them to avoid that algae it blows the sand off and shows the egg crate which really bothers me for some reason

It sounds to me like you just need to find the sweet spots in terms of flow for your tank.
In terms of issues, disturbing the sandbed can release all kinds of nasty stuff, mostly all the poop that never got filtered out. Usually results in parameter spikes and even mini cycles.

His setup is still pretty new. Would that make any difference if he did stir things up. I had to take out all my rocks a few weeks ago and stirred things up pretty bad. Didn't cause any spikes

Not disturbing the sandbed is best practice. Can you? Sure. Did I in my first tank? All the time. But in terms of the sandbed in my latest tank, which also has egg crate, I learned that it takes continued minor adjustments to get it right. Only reason I see some of the crate now is if my large clam gets spooked and closes quickly.

I just really don't like the look of my rocks they are in the middle back to front which leaves no sand bed up front, I mainly want to re do my rock work but since I was going to have that out of the tank I figured I could take out the egg crate

What if I just re do my rock work and cut and remove the egg crate in the front of the tank where I don't have rocks?

Well after about 4 hours I am one happy reefer! Water has cleared and I absolutely love!!!! The way it looks no more egg crate and a lot more open space makes my tank look so much bigger to me at least here are some picturesImageUploadedByTapatalk1390003783.686902.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390003795.853714.jpg

Back
Top Bottom