Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well here it is, the build has officially started! I re did some electrical this weekend in order to put GFCI outlets on the other side of the wall where my equipment is going to end up, I still have a ways to go with buying things but it is coming along so I figured I could start a build thread where I can share pictures and get advice.

So far here is what I have planned, 150 gallon display reef tank, 40 gallon breeder as a frag tank off to the left side of my display plumbed into series with display and sump, and behind the wall I will have a 55 gallon sump and my mixing station.

I will be placing two 55 gallon barrels in the space where the ladder is for mixing and storing rodi water and then under the stairs is where the sump will go, I have to build up the sump off the floor to make it easier to work in but right now I am just water testing the tanks to make sure they hold before I go any further,

The girlfriend is home to make sure everything holds well and when I get back from work Thursday I will be draining the tanks, painting the walls and drilling the back of the tank for my bean animal style coast to coast overflows and piping.

My first question for you guys would be what color do you think looks best for a painted background ? I have heard of black and blue but has anyone went other colors like an aqua at all? We have some leftover paint from our bathroom that is kind of a blue green that might look good?

Enjoy and thank you for your input in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4215868443.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	203383   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1223102763.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	203384  

Name:	image-1378137385.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	203385   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1589507647.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	203386  

Name:	image-1308936511.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	203387  

Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well both hold water! So that is a great sign, this weekend I am going to clean them up and start plumbing I'm getting super excited I wish I didn't have to do this stupid thing called work all the time.

On my local reef site someone suggested using fabric that you can Velcro to the back of your tank that way if you get bored you can change it out? Any concerns with that? I feel like saltwater could damage that easily.

Also as a plumber I have scraps of pipe readily available that are free for me and I just happened to be working on a huge hotel in the cities and grabbed a 6' long scrap of 12 inch PVC , I was planning on cutting a quarter of this off to form a 90* angle and trying to use this as my coast to coast overflow since it's free, PVC is fish safe so the worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work out and I wasted a little time right? Or am I chasing a dream that isn't even worth my effort? If my math is correct that should give me a 4x4 overflow box (that's rounded of corse) which I'm thinking would definitely cut down on the noise of water falling into the overflow as it should just run down the side. Well either way if it's not a safety concern I will give it a go and take lots of pictures just in case it does happen to work, although 12inch PVC is probably more expensive than acrylic for anyone who can't just get it for free lol

Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds good I will be following
Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tinted the back of my 150. I got the darkest tint I could find. It looks pretty good for my first tint job. Just another option to consider
Old 10-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's how it looks.

Name:	image-913181545.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	204020
Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That looks great, but remember, once the tank is a bit older, the back wall should be covered in coralline algae and maybe coral. IMO that's what looks natural.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea that takes time. Someday
Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
Yea that takes time. Someday
If you are successful at keeping coral, it will happen. Part of the whole process. Might happen faster than you dreamed.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the input! After much consideration I have decided to take some chances. I am going to paint my overflow black and the back of the tank with the paint we have left over from our bathroom I have attached a picture as i am draining the tank from testing now to start work on it. ( worst case is I just store the water and scape and re paint)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-86262408.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	204234  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It'll look good almost any way you go about it. Good luck

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com