Bribos 40 breeder! (Finally...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bribo12

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's a go!!!! Just ordered a 700 gph overflow kit from glass-holes. Will need help getting the sump setup. I'll update after work later tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I knew it couldn't wait till after the wedding lol just hope you got the ok from the future Mrs. :D
are you going to use a 20 long for the sump that would fit perfect under the 40,
if your going to have 3ft or more upward travel to pump water back to tank you may want to look into a 950gph or 1250gph , I have a 700 gph now and I barely get any water movement out of the return, I've been looking at a 1250 for my set up ,
I've been using the sea clone in mine it seems to work better as a internal skimmer , don't seem to have the problems I had when it was a hob, once I lost that long tub it's like a totally different beast because now it works only thing I did change was the pump went from a 100gph pump to a 200gph pump

Oh crap well I already got the 700. I'll figure it out lol. And yes definitely a 20 long underneath.

I run the Eheim compact + 3000 which is rated at up to 793 GPH before headloss, and it's scaled down to about 70%, and have plenty of water pumping through my 700 gph glass holes kit on my 40 breeder with 20 long sump... Just fyi.

I run the Eheim compact + 3000 which is rated at up to 793 GPH before headloss, and it's scaled down to about 70%, and have plenty of water pumping through my 700 gph glass holes kit on my 40 breeder with 20 long sump... Just fyi.

Cool thanks flaxon. How big is your overflow hole? The kit I got is 1.5". Also as far as painting the back of the tank I'm gonna be using krylon fusion black spray paint. Should I drill it before or after I paint it?

I think they did a 1.5" hole, but it's plumbed with 1" PVC that I connected a 1" Eheim flex tube that leads to my sump...

Sorry missed the paint thing... Good question. I don't think it really matters but you will want to scrape the paint away where the back side of the bulk head rests so it gets a nice flush seal against glass.

It's all good. Thanks I'll probably just drill it first and get the bulkhead on there then paint it.

It's all good. Thanks I'll probably just drill it first and get the bulkhead on there then paint it.

no, then you have to deal with overspray inside the tank/bulkhead and could cause problems with clogging the threads or prevent PVC glue from getting a complete bond on the bulkhead.
Cut out a circle of paper or masking tape about 1/8" bigger than the bulkhead fittings, affix in place, paint, remove, you will have a clean circle of glass to drill and the overlap will ensure a good seal and no overspray. (y)

I also put a very thin coat of silicone on the bulkhead fitting where there is no gasket so it seals a little better.

Doh, thanks PB I'll go ahead and do that then

I also put a very thin coat of silicone on the bulkhead fitting where there is no gasket so it seals a little better.

I wouldn't do this personally. You're actually preventing it from seating properly. Plus, if you need to remove the bulkhead you won't be able to.

I wouldn't do this personally. You're actually preventing it from seating properly. Plus, if you need to remove the bulkhead you won't be able to.

No, I don't put it on the inside/gasket side, I put a thin film on the outside flange where there is no gasket. Removing it really is a simple as turning it with wrench and breaking the seal. I'm not talking a huge bead, just a thin coating that will squish out and create a tiny bead around the bulkhead flange that screws on.

Been doing it for decades with no problems.

No, I don't put it on the inside/gasket side, I put a thin film on the outside flange where there is no gasket. Removing it really is a simple as turning it with wrench and breaking the seal. I'm not talking a huge bead, just a thin coating that will squish out and create a tiny bead around the bulkhead flange that screws on.

Been doing it for decades with no problems.

Well, either way, I would still skip it. Again, personal opinion, seems like an unnecessary step, but that's just me. If water is actually reaching the point of the silicon, you would want to know and be able to see it, so you know to tighten it down.

I appreciate all the input guys. I'm probably not going to use the silicone but I'll keep it in mind. Next step is trying to figure out what skimmer to get. And return pump.

I appreciate all the input guys. I'm probably not going to use the silicone but I'll keep it in mind. Next step is trying to figure out what skimmer to get. And return pump.

Can check out the eheim like I mentioned, it's really quiet and adjustable. For a skimmer I run a reef octo nwb110, it really pulls a lot out of my system. If you want something with a smaller footprint check out the bubble magus, as the pumps are housed in the body of the skimmer as opposed to externally.

Yay! So exciting! I have no technically advice to impart so I'll just cheer you along ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I'm looking at the bubble magus NAC3.5 or the octopus int 110.

Back
Top Bottom