Bright Green algae starting to appear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philthefish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Over the last 3 or 4 weeks, I've started to notice patches of bright green algae appearing on some of my LR. It's not particularly bad at the moment, but if it carries on at this rate it'll take over within a few months.
I switched to RO a couple of months back and my nitrates are around 0-2 ppm (dependent on when my last water change was). What type of algae is this? (photos attached) and what can I do, if anything, to halt it. Or will it just go over time?

Thanks
Phil

P.S. Tank is around 9 months old set up.

Attachments

• s3400001__large__129.jpg
    s3400001__large__129.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,572
  • s3400002__large__142.jpg
    s3400002__large__142.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,440
Not sure what type of algae...has anything changed in the last 3 or 4 weeks? Have you been feeding more than usual lately? What are your phosphate levels?

Paul

did you touch it? is it hard , soft??

Im not so sure its algae, it may be green coraline algae.. again its hard to tell from the pic

if its hard I would say its coraline..

I had stuff just like that. I got an algea attack pack and they didnt touch it. A few months later my rocks were covered in it. I posted a pic of it and i guess it turned out to be coraline. It looks really cool, but it took over my purple! I like a variety in my tank, but the purple is starting to come back now.

It seems to have coincided with the appearance of purple coralline in my tank. I buffered for KH and pH about 4 weeks ago as I couldn't sustain Coralline growth. I thought coralline was just purples?

Could be green coraline algae. If so let it be. If it is more of a hair type algae then get a turbo snail and look at your PO4 levels.

Could be green coraline algae. If so let it be. If it is more of a hair type algae then get a turbo snail and look at your PO4 levels.

It's certainly not hair algae as there's no growth off the rock, it's just solid on the rock (if that makes sense!). It doesn't look slimey either (I'll have a feel of it tonight...ooer!)

its probly green corraline algae i have the same in my tank its growing exactly like the purple corraline in my tank

I have the same type of algae starting to spread in my tank. However, it's only growing on top of the LR that receives the most light. Where as the purple coralline looks best underneath the LR that receives very minimal light that seems to thrive best.

If it is green coralline, shouldn't it spread all over like purple coralline instead of just where it receives the most light? :?

Back
Top Bottom