Bright Kits on 48" Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtglore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I have a question about AH Supply Bright Kits. Actually, it's mostly about their installation. I wanted to purchase a 4 X 96 watt Bright Kit to retrofit my 48" long canopy. Basically, it consists of two of their 2 X 96 watt Bright Kits. The problem is, however, that each Bright Kit is only 34.5" long. So, I'd either have to leave about 7" of unlit surface at each end of the canopy or adjust them (pull them towards the canopy ends) so that the entire aquarium is lit but much less intensely at the ends (again, about 7"). That is, that the two kits would overlap ONLY in the middle 34". Which would be best (I'm assuming the latter)? Or, would it be entirely inappropriate, inefficient, and/or insufficient to not have uniform light intensity throughout the entire tank?

Also, because the reflectors or 34.5" long, too, what would be the best material to make a DIY extension of the reflector (assuming I stick with the Bright Kits)?

I appreciate everyone's input.

Best wishes,
Michael

well i would think that if you just mounted the lights in the middle of the tank it should be ok because light acts like a wave and will spread across the rest of the tank. but if you feel it is absolutly necessary you could overlap them in the center.

If I was going to use the 96w lights, I'd stagger them alternately...one all the way to the left, one all the way to the right, next to the left, ect... Maybe you could get them to send you an extra reflector? Then you could cut it down to fit.
On a 48" tank, it works out better to use either 55/65w PC's or VHO's. Be warned though that if your hood measures 48", the 48" VHO's will not fit...you'll have to get the 46.5" tubes. A 4x48 VHO would net you 440 watts while a 6x55 would get you 330w.

mtglore,
I used one of the Bright Light kits with 6x55W PC's. These fit just great in a home-made 48" canopy. No need for extensions or unlit areas.
Using 3 pairs of lights like this also gives me 3 separate timer phases.
I have 2 pairs of 10K PC's on the outside and 1 pait of actinics on the inside.
IMO the Bright lite kits are a superb investement - good parts, everything goes together real easy and the results look great.

Just my 2 cent's worth.
Andy.

Back
Top Bottom