Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

"I have so much flow that the fish can not tell if it is alive or not"

Flow has nothing to do with it. The fish can tell the difference not matter what flow you have.
My reef tank is 90g and has a mag 18 for a return, with another 1200g flow from Hagen 802 power heads, and the fish just go nuts for live.

"how do you keep the adults alive once you get them?"

Obviously you didn't bother to read the link or you would have known that I grow them out from cyst to adult. The link explains how I do it complete with pictures.

"i just thought it might be a little more cost effective this way. but i guess not. "

Definitely not cost effective, other than the fact the fish can be fed something you want them to have even if they don't eat it directly just by gut loading the brine shrimp with that particular food.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Obviously you didn't bother to read the link or you would have known that I grow them out from cyst to adult. The link explains how I do it complete with pictures.
i was asking other people who buy them. i did read the article!

mark

Old 04-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK Mark.
People who buy them from me store them in the refrigerator and gut load before feeding them to their tanks, or, they set up a holding tank with an air line and feed them on spirulina or Tahitian Blend, which I supply them with.
Stored in a refrigerator, they will live for between 3 to 5 days, and most look dead until the water is warmed up again and they begin swimming around again.
The preferred method is obviously to use a holding tank, but it means doing water changes every 5 to 7 days, depending on whether or not you feed too much or not.
Water changes can be delayed a lot by using a product called Cloram-X, which removes the ammonia.
Hikari sells a liquid version of Cloram-X
Old 04-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
How do u gut-load brine shrimps? Sorry for asking on ur post mark but since ur asking about brine shrimps

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I buy bags and gutload the brine shrimp with zoecon. I also turn off the powerheads and then drop them in and see my fish go crazy. I always do this with new arivals.

Bags of live brine are cheap and they shouldnt be fed all the time anyways.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFF
How do u gut-load brine shrimps? Sorry for asking on ur post mark but since ur asking about brine shrimps
To gut load, take the portion you wish to use at this time, and place them in an aerated container with the food you wish to gut load with. e.g. spirulina, Tahitian Blend, or a Selco type product, and when the brine have filled their guts with the product chosen, feed them directly to your tank(s).
Time for gut loading depends on the age (size) of the brine, with nauplii just after their mouths form, taking 24 hours, and times lessoning with the increasing size of the brine until full adults take only about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Oh ok, that's what i thought. I tried feeding them with flakes but none of them seem to eat those hehe. Thanks alot for the info

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can take those flakes and crush them up to a fine state, place the crushed portion in the centre of a dense piece of cloth, and fold it up to form a ball, fastening the cloth with an elastic.
Soak the ball in salt water overnight in a mug and then "massage" the food ball until the food starts coming through the material and "fogging" the water.
Now you have appropriate particle sized food for the brine to feed on.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
What would happen if I hatched some brine shrimp and then dumped them into my 10gallon SW tank? WOudl they survice in there????
Old 04-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

They will survive only if water conditions fall within their needs, have no predators, and the food supply is the proper particle size for them to eat.

Tags
brine shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com