Brine shrimp - does it have a purpose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foamythesquirrel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank one year now, and have learned a lot. Yet, there are new questions that have come to mind. And I don't ever expect to know everything, but at that same time I have to ask now and then.

My LFS guy is pretty cool and very knowledgeable. He has provided me with much of my food and nutrients since I started. I got half a pack of brine shrimp from a friend and used it a few times. I asked my LFS about it and his response wasn't anymore than... "it's like if you ate a bag of chips. There's nothing to them."

If there is any truth to that, then why provide it when there are so many other good products in the freezers?

Currently I have Cyclopeeze, large and small mysis, Rod's Reef Food, brine shrimp, pellets, phyto2, Liquid Reef, Reef Snow, Purple Up and raw shrimp.

As you can see, there is much to choose from so the less the better. It has come down to having to develop a spreadsheet in a format that I can keep track of what I feed, when and how long to wait for the next time when I use it again. All of sudden, this tank became an administrative task :shock:

I have recognized a good habit to have is measuring your water parameters and determining what to add, and figure trends to determine intervals. I haven't started that yet, but do exercise the routine of weekly water changes. I mix Tropic Marin salt and use a power head for a few hours. When I purchased my refractometer, I wanted to throw the cheap plastic ones in front of a train. Water changes have become a way of life for me.

I have also been guilty of over feeding the tank, with mostly the meats. But after several lessons, thankfully getting help here (by the way), I am working very well to an every other day schedule. But I am not doing it cold turkey, just can't do that to these guys.... I mean, heck, some of them have names!! lol

Well, it seems this became a lot more than just brine shrimp... but it had to start somewhere. Thanks for reading.

Here is a one year anniversary photo.....

Attachments

• IMG_6457.jpg
    IMG_6457.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 86
I came across a photo I took when I had everything set up. This was about 2 weeks into the project. Taken on August 16, 2009.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 77
You have a good LFS guy. Brine are great to treat fish to live prey now and then, but are nutritionally deficient compared to other foods. Frozen enriched brine or baby brine are decent foods. Important to remember that brine shrimp don't exist in the ocean.

Great tank! Very nice work.

If you do feed brine make sure it`s vitanin fortified. You can feed that frozen.

You can "gut load" brine as well. Just feed them lots of good food, then feed them to your fish. Still not as nutritional as hikari or PE mysis.

Congrats on your 1 yr mark! It looks great!

Oh, what LFS do you go to? I see your local :)

i make my own food. it's much cheaper, and cleaner than store bought stuff.
i never use phyto or reef snow or anything like that either, and i've kept large sps colonies and clams and never had an issue with coloration or lack thereof.
here are a few recipes that you might get some ideas from..
RenegadeReefers.org • Information

i would not use purple up either. your water changes are enough to keep your tank healthy. the proof is in the pictures. i believe the addition of the purple up just works against the water changes.

Oh, what LFS do you go to? I see your local :)

The place is called Chicago Reptile House / Go Fish Aquarium. They are located in Orland Park on John Humphrey Dr. Not very local to Chicago, but I live in the south suburbs. Keith and Jeff are the guys that I would suggest talking to.

If you visit there, I would be interested to know how your experience goes. I don't have much to compare them to, but so far my tank has been doing very well from their advice and products.

Currently I have Cyclopeeze, large and small mysis, Rod's Reef Food, brine shrimp, pellets, phyto2, Liquid Reef, Reef Snow, Purple Up and raw shrimp.
Your tank looks great so obviously you are doing most things correctly.

I would drop the phyto, reef snow PurpleUp and raw shrimp along with the brine. They are not needed based on what you wrote.

If you decide to make your own search this site fro "Blender Mush" or "home made fish food"

I used to make my own but have found that Rod's Food is actually cheaper than making my own. Home made only lasts so long inthe freezer, and Rod's is sized just right for my tank needs so that it doesn't freezer burn before it's gone.

The place is called Chicago Reptile House / Go Fish Aquarium. They are located in Orland Park on John Humphrey Dr. Not very local to Chicago, but I live in the south suburbs. Keith and Jeff are the guys that I would suggest talking to.

If you visit there, I would be interested to know how your experience goes. I don't have much to compare them to, but so far my tank has been doing very well from their advice and products.

I'm in the NW suburbs, Orland Park is a little bit of a haul. We have probably 8 stores up here within 30 min. Always good to see another Chicago reefer though!

Back
Top Bottom