Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Brine Shrimp: Growing to Adults

Does anyone have any experience in growing Brine shrimp from the Naplii to adults?
I've been trying my hand at it and can't seem to get down the perfect combination of food. I grow my own nannochloropsis and this is what I feed my Brine shrimp however it seems I either tend to over feed them or under feed them. I know you would just say just feed in between the two and it should be okay but this still does not seem to be the correct amount. The water still gets cloudy and fouled up and they die off. I have plenty of aeration and plenty of water movement with no dead spots on the aquarium floor. However I still have massive die offs after a couple days. Is there anyone with any experience out there that can help me, maybe give me a few pointers in growing them to adults? I've had some success but it was very limited. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #2

Hello ckane ,
I was thinking about raising brine shrimp and watched a bunch of you tube videos on it.
sorry that's all I got

Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Hello ckane ,
I was thinking about raising brine shrimp and watched a bunch of you tube videos on it.
sorry that's all I got
Thanks Demo. I've basically done the same but none really give you a good basis to go upon. Some say feed them very little, while others say feed them multiple times a day. Most focus upon the hatching. Appreciate it tho. Good looking out
Old 06-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

are you raising them as a food source?
if so, then the babies are much more nutritious than the adults are if they still have the yolk sac. brine shrimp are marginally nutritious and the only reason to raise them is to feed finicky eaters.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Brine Shrimp: Growing to Adults

That's right. If you don't gut load the adults before harvesting them, then your much better off increasing your hatch and feeding the baby brine.

Paul B. has described his home made baby brine feeder he has used to spawn pipefish and dragonets. Check him out on Reef2Reef. Or google him. His reef just turned 40 years old. He's also on Facebook on Alberts Thiels Nano forum. He is seriously old school and inventive, as a result he has developed a lot of valuable stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
are you raising them as a food source?
if so, then the babies are much more nutritious than the adults are if they still have the yolk sac. brine shrimp are marginally nutritious and the only reason to raise them is to feed finicky eaters.
Yes I am raising them as a food source. I have a sweet lips that either can't see or won't touch the babies. whereas my other fish go crazy. And yes, Coyote, I do gut load the adults I'm able to grow with spirulina and Nanno prior to harvesting. I'll check that guy out. Name doesn't sound familiar which means it's a source I haven't come across. Hopefully I can get more pointers there. Thanks
Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Raising brine is not as easy as hatching.
Gut load them if you achieve success with "selcon".
American Marine Selcon
Paul B ROCKS!!!!
Reefkeeping Magazine - Paul Baldassano’s Reef - 40 Years in the Making

He used to visit my old site!
Tank birthday, 40 years - Aquarium Forum

Tags
adults, brine shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com