Brine shrimp hatchery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantareadio

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's up with my brine shrimp dying two days after hatching???

Um.....Can you give some type of background/details?

If you are hatching BBS, 2 days is about all you can expect unless you take steps to feed and raise them. BBS are really best fed soon after hatching since the nutrition is primarily in the yolk.

Oh maybe that's why
But I did give them that green liquid stuff...
They're in a small rank with air bubbles and a heater and a light...
I'd like them to get a little bigger but they don't last long

Brine Shrimp need to be fed about 12 hours after hatching. This is when they molt into their second larval stage and start feeding. At this point they'll start starving if they aren't fed. I use a 10 gallon tank with some acrylic, pvc pipe, and airline tubing to create an oval tank and make a raceway water circulation pattern. I add Roti-Rich and cultured Phytoplankton daily to keep the water a light green color. For me it's easier to keep a live tank of adult brine shrimp since they give birth to live babies. I don't have to deal with eggs or hatching. I just take some of the water out and filter the size of shrimp that I want and put the rest back.

David,
Excellent link best link i have seen on brine shrimp.
Mr. Peon
What do you mean they give birth to live babies? Don't they lay eggs?

They'll lay eggs in conditions that are unsuitable for them to continue living. It's basicly their defense to ensure their survival. If they are in ideal conditions, they give birth to live babies. If not, they lay eggs, and when the water returns to appropriate conditions the eggs will hatch and the cycle starts all over again.

That is pretty cool stuff. Give live birth under good conditions and lay eggs that can last for years under bad conditions. The more i learn about brine shrimp the more interesting they sound

Back
Top Bottom