Bringing Livestock On Airplane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So..Nu Nu the Eel and I were talking about me going to California during Christmas to visit some relatives and were wondering if anyone has had experience with bringing fish/corals on the plane with them? Is it legal? Is it possible? Please tell, thanks!

Adam has done it! (Needmorecowbell). Not positive...but it might have been in his luggage, secure in a box with water. He had corals..and went from florida to pennsylvania...he will have to chime in..

Gboy66 said:
Adam has done it! (Needmorecowbell). Not positive...but it might have been in his luggage, secure in a box with water. He had corals..and went from florida to pennsylvania...he will have to chime in..

Haha really! That would be awesome if it worked. Hope more people come share their experiences here.

Last time I flew I know you weren't alowed more then like 3oz of any liquid in a container so that may pose a problem but you may be able to put it under the plane with your luggage but then I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers. Honestly best bet would probably be shipping them.

Mrc8858 said:
Last time I flew I know you weren't alowed more then like 3oz of any liquid in a container so that may pose a problem but you may be able to put it under the plane with your luggage but then I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers. Honestly best bet would probably be shipping them.

Dont fly much eh? :)

I know..all those guys throwin the cases around..i hope you dont want to bring a fish jake!! Only coral IMO

Yeah maybe..but that is prob more expensive than the livestock..

Gboy66 said:
Dont fly much eh? :)

I know..all those guys throwin the cases around..i hope you dont want to bring a fish jake!! Only coral IMO

Yeah maybe..but that is prob more expensive than the livestock..

Haha yeah! Either an anemone or a coral. Jack tells me about the cheap anemone sold down in Cali haha.

Jake337 said:
Haha yeah! Either an anemone or a coral. Jack tells me about the cheap anemone sold down in Cali haha.

Yeah..bubbletips are pretty cheap:) So how long is the plane ride? If you live on the east coast..thats pretty far for the coral

Id be careful putting it in a suitcase. They DO inspect checked luggage sometimes and will remove things that arent allowed. Well, they screen all bags and inspect fishy (no pun intended) looking bags. They took my sand and rocks away from me a couple times, stupid TSA!!

Not sure about it though, it it doesnt get inspected, i think youd be fine. You could bring more than 3oz of liquid in a checked bag. You could also just ship it via fedex or something to the place youre staying

You can ship boxes on airlines too i believe. Youll probably pay out your butt though

Thats like a 5 hour flight i believe? Corals are fine for that long, i know nothing about sw though lol

Just my 2 cents

That was kind of a lot haha

Gboy66 said:
Yeah..bubbletips are pretty cheap:) So how long is the plane ride? If you live on the east coast..thats pretty far for the coral

Haha yeah the plane ride will be about 5 hrs. Prob shorter than it would be if I were to ship it.

George9 said:
Id be careful putting it in a suitcase. They DO inspect checked luggage sometimes and will remove things that arent allowed. Well, they screen all bags and inspect fishy (no pun intended) looking bags. They took my sand and rocks away from me a couple times, stupid TSA!!

Not sure about it though, it it doesnt get inspected, i think youd be fine. You could bring more than 3oz of liquid in a checked bag. You could also just ship it via fedex or something to the place youre staying

You can ship boxes on airlines too i believe. Youll probably pay out your butt though

Thats like a 5 hour flight i believe? Corals are fine for that long, i know nothing about sw though lol

Just my 2 cents

That was kind of a lot haha

Haha thanks for the advice and reply! If I were to bring anything I'll prob call the airport and ask a little more about it.

Jake337 said:
Haha thanks for the advice and reply! If I were to bring anything I'll prob call the airport and ask a little more about it.

Yeah thats probably best. Why do you need to bring corals to see your relatives though :)

George9 said:
Yeah thats probably best. Why do you need to bring corals to see your relatives though :)

Hahaha noo. It's the opposite way around. I live in Michgan. Visiting relatives in Cali. Wanting to bring some livestock back to Michigan. Haha they rip you off here...as far as I know haha.

George9 said:

I think its for the return trip lol

Ohh hahaha DUH!!

I was wondering why you would want to bring corals lol

Hahaha yeahh. I'm definitely going to check out some fish stores when in down there haha.

Shipping would be no more reliable than checking baggage. Most commercial flights carry overnight cargo for shipping companies such as ups, dhl, etc. In other words it theoretically could end up on the same flight, same handling conditions.

Funny thing, cargo from third party shipping companies isn't screened by TSA. All the security TSA puts people through and contraband can still end up in the cargo hold.

It would definitely have to be checked for US flights anyway. I would also check with the specific airline to see what their rules are.

Jake337 said:
Hahaha yeahh. I'm definitely going to check out some fish stores when in down there haha.

Is it socali? Jack and i could hook you up with some sweet places man!

Oh, forgot to add, you should insulate the suitcasr really well if yoy go that route. It gets cooolld on the bottom of a plane at 36000 feet above the ground

I think a lot of people just use wet paper towels to bring corals with them in their carry-on luggage. I don't know if a nem would work with that though.

mfdrookie516 said:
I think a lot of people just use wet paper towels to bring corals with them in their carry-on luggage. I don't know if a nem would work with that though.

You would also be able to put them in a cup full of 3 oz of water or less in a carry on depending on size.

Back
Top Bottom