Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bristle worm control

What is a good Bristle worm predator. I don't have a problem with them now, but have quite a few. I would like to get a clam or Firefish, which I've read both fall victim to Bristle worms on occasion. Just want to keep things under control.

Old 11-08-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hear that Six-Line Wrasses are pretty good at bristleworms and flatworms control.

Although...a friend of mine got one for for this very reason....and he had so many bristleworms...they would bite the fins of the wrasse. The Wrasse died before he could see him bite back at the bristle worms.

I am sure more experienced marine aquarists will give some other, and better ideas. My only marine experince is in my head from all the reading I have done on the subject.

Good luck

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. They're not plague proportions yet, just want to be pro-active. These worms can be pretty nasty. They will eat Firefish alive, once locked in bolt holes the poor guys won't budge, even if being eaten alive. Gotta be a horrible way to go.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Most wrasses will eat smaller bristles, and arrow crabs can eat the bigger guys. Only downside to the arrow crab is they can turn on fish when they get big enough.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
i had an arrow defintly ate some
Old 11-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am not considered experienced but, I also have a few of these worms in my tank. One thing I was told is that they come out at night. Armed with a flashlight and a pair of tweezers, I'm going fishing
Old 11-09-2004, 01:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
One thing I was told is that they come out at night. Armed with a flashlight and a pair of tweezers, I'm going fishing
This will get rid of a few, but won't keep a constant population control.
Quote:
Fish or worms?
Quote:
Only downside to the arrow crab is they can turn on fish when they get big enough.
Don't want to buy anything I may need to get rid of later, not knowingly anyways.

Thanks everybody
Old 11-09-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i understand that banded coral shrimp and and bi color and strawberry pseudochromis eat bristles

steve r
Old 11-09-2004, 12:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmoorishmanxx
Arrow crabs are know to eat bristle worms.

Common bristle worms don't eat clams unless the clams health is already poor and or dying. Bristle worms gets a bad rap because they are usually what people see munching away on their livestock when they are actually just house cleaning the already dead or dying.

IMO too many bristles worms are not a good thing and I do manual removal of the ones I see. They also give me the creeps.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Think I'll just pluck out the big ones for now. Can I just add them to my blender mush, I had wasting any sort of life?

Tags
control, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com