Bristle worm control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is a good Bristle worm predator. I don't have a problem with them now, but have quite a few. I would like to get a clam or Firefish, which I've read both fall victim to Bristle worms on occasion. Just want to keep things under control.

I hear that Six-Line Wrasses are pretty good at bristleworms and flatworms control.

Although...a friend of mine got one for for this very reason....and he had so many bristleworms...they would bite the fins of the wrasse. The Wrasse died before he could see him bite back at the bristle worms.

I am sure more experienced marine aquarists will give some other, and better ideas. My only marine experince is in my head from all the reading I have done on the subject.

Good luck

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. They're not plague proportions yet, just want to be pro-active. These worms can be pretty nasty. They will eat Firefish alive, once locked in bolt holes the poor guys won't budge, even if being eaten alive. Gotta be a horrible way to go.

Thanks

Most wrasses will eat smaller bristles, and arrow crabs can eat the bigger guys. Only downside to the arrow crab is they can turn on fish when they get big enough.

I am not considered experienced but, I also have a few of these worms in my tank. One thing I was told is that they come out at night. Armed with a flashlight and a pair of tweezers, I'm going fishing :wink:

One thing I was told is that they come out at night. Armed with a flashlight and a pair of tweezers, I'm going fishing
This will get rid of a few, but won't keep a constant population control.
i had an arrow defintly ate some
Fish or worms?
Only downside to the arrow crab is they can turn on fish when they get big enough.
Don't want to buy anything I may need to get rid of later, not knowingly anyways.

Thanks everybody :wink:

xxmoorishmanxx said:
i had an arrow defintly ate some

Arrow crabs are know to eat bristle worms.

Common bristle worms don't eat clams unless the clams health is already poor and or dying. Bristle worms gets a bad rap because they are usually what people see munching away on their livestock when they are actually just house cleaning the already dead or dying.

IMO too many bristles worms are not a good thing and I do manual removal of the ones I see. They also give me the creeps.

Think I'll just pluck out the big ones for now. Can I just add them to my blender mush, I had wasting any sort of life?

I can't just throw them out. I have no problem scewering one on a hook, this to me would be worse. Don't get me wrong, I don't find enjoyment in killing something just for fun, heck I have a hard time killing ants and WON'T kill a spider.
I figure if the worms must go, then at least their energy is not wanted. I'll do it in a Cuisinart so it's quicker, sorry.
Don't hate me. :(

I guess it's no different than baiting a hook. Haden't thought about it that way. And me I'll smash a spider quick. Snakes on the other hand forget it, I got a yellow streak a mile wide.

Been thinking about this a bit. Wondering if I do blend up the bigger worms in blender mush, will the bristles that have now been broken off from the worm irritate the other tank inhabitants once I put mush in tank to feed. :? Maybe if I freeze them first, then break the bristles off before blending. Hate to waste these guys, they are a very good source of protein and free food. Some of the ones I have are pretty big.

I don't have any worm problems yet either, I have a healthy ppulation now, just don't want it to get out of hand.

sorry got bait didnt see the question, yeah he ate just bristle worms (the arrow), in fact he got eaten by another crab in my tank

Too bad about the arrow. Very cool looking animal. My wife wants one really bad and I have to keep telling her no. Then again, maybe if he's just a teeny tiny guy :D

Got bait, I've got a pair of albino columbians flying in in the am :D

Maybe if I freeze them first, then break the bristles off before blending. Hate to waste these guys, they are a very good source of protein and free food. Some of the ones I have are pretty big.

I would not worry about it. It is really a lot of work for what would ammount to a small ammount of food in terms of weight.

Back
Top Bottom