Bristle worm...good guy or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious as to some opinions about these. Seems as though most people think they are bad news. The LFS says the burrow through LR and end up destroying it. On the other hand we have read that they are not harmful.

They are beneficial to your tank from what I understand. They eat left over food and other junk in the tank helping to clean it.

i agree- bebeficial. I would remove one if it was say 4-5" long but other than that i would leave it alone. Things are there for a reason.

The LFS says the burrow through LR and end up destroying it.

LOL .... oh, sorry - needed a good laugh.

They are a beneficial scavenger/detritus eater. They will also keep a DSB aerated if you have one. I used to remove ones that were 6"+ because I thought they were *creepy*, but I've never seen one do any harm, and they're just too difficult to remove.

99.99% of bristleworms are completley harmless to the reef aquarium, scavenging and eating detritus. Really the only damaging ones are fireworms, so check out pics of them. Other than than, I would consider bristleworms to be a plus in an aquarium. BTW, size really doesnt matter if it is one of the harmless species, HTH!!

Back
Top Bottom