Bristle Worm has lost his mind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
My bristle worm (well not my big one but one that is probably a good 4" in length) lost his mind today and decided to make lunch out of my hairy mushroom. When my hubby caught him the little bugger had a hold of the shroom and had put a good size hole in it right near the mouth! There was purple oozing out of it and flying everywhere. Hubby had to rip the worm off of the shroom to get him out of the tank!

These have been such peaceful inhabitants up until now. I've loved to watch them move around the tank. They're so pretty and so graceful. Why did he go insane on my shroom?!

I'm not sure now whether to pull the big one or assume the best until he proves otherwise. I'd hate to lose a shroom to this guy!

The one that got pulled is in QT now (the former home of the red crabs). I guess I'm off to find a new home for him!!

I sure hope my big one is the "other" type! :)

Here is a pic of a bristle worm that eats coral. The bad (Hermodice) ones have a little patch of fuzz in their head, which is hard to see in this pic. thankfuly that once was eating all of my ugly stuff. Right now he is close to 8" long and fatter.

evil_worm_3.JPG

Here is a better pic. he is now tearing into my primo stuff :evil: you can see the fuzzy patch on his head.

hworm.jpg

Search and destory!!

You guys going to remove them worms?

CBRGuy, good shot of the worm eating your zoos

CBRGuy, Great pics! I recently yanked 2 bristle worms that looked exactly like the one in your pics. They definitely had a taste for a hammer frag that I had.

My bristle worm has dark green hair where yours has orange. Otherwise it looks pretty similar. I didn't notice if the other one (who's in QT) had those green/orange patches of hair or not.

I saw what I think was the big bristle sitting inside of my rock with... his mouth open? Does that sound likely? When I came by he closed his mouth. I'm pretty sure it was him but really couldn't see very deep in the rock (could have been a clam, I guess but it really looked like it might have bristles behind his mouth.

Would they be less likely to pick on corals if they were well fed? And if so then what do they want to eat?!

They are rare, but I see more and more people getting them. I have at least 5 in my tank. They look just like other bristle worms. The only difference is the little fuzzy patch on there head. That is the only way to tell them a part. I know some people have problems with regular bristle worms that just get too big and eat what ever they want.

Back
Top Bottom