Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bristle Worm has lost his mind!

My bristle worm (well not my big one but one that is probably a good 4" in length) lost his mind today and decided to make lunch out of my hairy mushroom. When my hubby caught him the little bugger had a hold of the shroom and had put a good size hole in it right near the mouth! There was purple oozing out of it and flying everywhere. Hubby had to rip the worm off of the shroom to get him out of the tank!

These have been such peaceful inhabitants up until now. I've loved to watch them move around the tank. They're so pretty and so graceful. Why did he go insane on my shroom?!

I'm not sure now whether to pull the big one or assume the best until he proves otherwise. I'd hate to lose a shroom to this guy!

The one that got pulled is in QT now (the former home of the red crabs). I guess I'm off to find a new home for him!!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Certain types of bristleworms feed on corals. Sounds like this was one.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I sure hope my big one is the "other" type!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is a pic of a bristle worm that eats coral. The bad (Hermodice) ones have a little patch of fuzz in their head, which is hard to see in this pic. thankfuly that once was eating all of my ugly stuff. Right now he is close to 8" long and fatter.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is a better pic. he is now tearing into my primo stuff you can see the fuzzy patch on his head.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Search and destory!!

You guys going to remove them worms?

CBRGuy, good shot of the worm eating your zoos
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

CBRGuy, Great pics! I recently yanked 2 bristle worms that looked exactly like the one in your pics. They definitely had a taste for a hammer frag that I had.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

My bristle worm has dark green hair where yours has orange. Otherwise it looks pretty similar. I didn't notice if the other one (who's in QT) had those green/orange patches of hair or not.

I saw what I think was the big bristle sitting inside of my rock with... his mouth open? Does that sound likely? When I came by he closed his mouth. I'm pretty sure it was him but really couldn't see very deep in the rock (could have been a clam, I guess but it really looked like it might have bristles behind his mouth.

Would they be less likely to pick on corals if they were well fed? And if so then what do they want to eat?!

Old 02-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah, but arent the bad ones pretty rare?
Old 02-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are rare, but I see more and more people getting them. I have at least 5 in my tank. They look just like other bristle worms. The only difference is the little fuzzy patch on there head. That is the only way to tell them a part. I know some people have problems with regular bristle worms that just get too big and eat what ever they want.

Tags
worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com