Bristle Worm Problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvanWells

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
90 Gallon saltwater reef tank
I'm having an infestation of bristle worms in my tank. Does anyone have any possible solution to the issue?

As far as I know they are not really harmful to a system and actually good CUC. I have a few in my tank.

Hiding in rocks all day I'm not sure of a way to get them out for removal without damaging the rock in some way?

Caleb

Some kind of fish eats them. Can't think of which one at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Using bottles seem to be the most common way to remove them. Put some food at the end of the bottle away from the opening. The worms crawl in but have trouble getting out. I'm sure you could do more to keep them from getting back out..like cutting the top of the bottle off and inverting it so the spout is in the body.

But like everyone said they do a great job of cleaning up for you and until they get big I wouldn't worry about them.

I hate worms tho. Blaaah

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your worm population is so large because of all the available food- you are overfeeding. Lessen the food supply and the worms will lessen on their own....no worm eating fish necessary.

Bristle worms are generally beneficial to your tank, however if you have way too many it is due to over feeding. You could manually remove them with the bottle trap or by getting something that eats them, but make sure to cut back on your feeding because if there is nothing left to eat the extra food, you will have an algae problem. As far as fish that eat them, I've heard Orchid Dottybacks eat them.

90 Gallon saltwater reef tank
I'm having an infestation of bristle worms in my tank. Does anyone have any possible solution to the issue?

what kind of stock do you have , and how much do you feed them
I would cut back on feeding a maybe 2X a week
I use them for trout fishing they catch the big guys (y)

Back
Top Bottom