bristle worm question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of bristleworms killing inverts I was searching for a mantis when I found 3 worms. 2 of them are at least 6 to 8 inches long and the third is short but very big around. The two long ones are almost as big around as my little finger and the short one is almost as big. I have lost two cleaners in the last month and about 25 hermits and snails. I found a couple of pistols but the were small and all the shells left over from the hermits and snails were directly in front of the burrows of the worms I will try to get some pics later when I get my camera working. Thanks again for all the advice and by the way does anyone want these worms before I dispose of them? Sue

Anybody??? Do we still heed to search for an elusive mantis or do you think this is our problems in the tank...Thanks Sue

Its hard to believe that a worm would catch and kill a cleaner shrimp. But I`m not a bristle worm expert. Never had one.

Bristleworms do not stay in a specific "burrow", so IMO it is unlikely that the shells are anything but a coincidence with the bristleworm sightings. In general, bristleworms lack any appendage to catch a moving invert, from my experience they can only grasp after some effort with their mouths (used to watch mine carry away algae chips). They scavenge dead flesh, otherwise they would likely be seen following fish and snails all day and night which I have never seen.

I'd suspect water conditions, holding conditions at the LFS (which makes them die prematurely), or a different predator...I have had the same 6 snails in my 55g for 2 years now and have tons of bristleworms.

Back
Top Bottom