Bristle worm removal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

errdivideby0

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed today that my green star polyps were a bit irritated and a little while ago I noticed a bristle worm crawling around the rock that they're on. Can someone tell me an effective way to remove them?

There are traps, but I have never removed them.

I dont mess with mine as they are good janitors for your tank. As far as getting rid of them they do make traps as Scott said and there is also fish that will kill them like a sixline wrasse. I`ve also heard of putting the LR they live in to a high salinity dip and they will come out.

Yea, I've seen the traps at my LFS but was wondering if they actually worked or not. I've heard the Coral Banded Shrimp will eat them too but would I have to worry about a Coral Banded Shrimp attacking any of my other inverts?

As for the high salinity dip the problem is that the rock they're in has some coral on it so couldn't that hurt the coral? Yea, I didn't really care about them until today I noticed that my Green Stars didn't open up and I noticed that a bristle worm was crawling on and around them. Do you think that is the problem?

I personally dont think it is. They might have been irritated by the bristle worm walking on it but I dont think it hurt them. As I said I have some in my tank and they dont bother a thing. JME

I agree, I consider them a great free part of my clean up crew. CBS can turn nasty when they get bigger.

Hey I did notice a bristleworm on my zoanthids. This might be why they wont open I had a thread on this and maybe this is the answer.

Thanks guys. Hopefully the polyps do open up today. I noticed that they had a lot of new growth on them, could that have been another possible reason as to why they didn't open up completely?

Could be they are still getting used to your lighting or water parameters....

Back
Top Bottom