Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

Based on that logic Some species fish eat coral, there for when your coral is dying you should kill every fish in your aquarium, Large enough to eat coral.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amitas View Post
Based on that logic Some species fish eat coral, there for when your coral is dying you should kill every fish in your aquarium, Large enough to eat coral.

That's a flawed analogy. I can tell by looking at them which fish eat coral and which don't. There are very few among us who can ID worms without a scope and a very good reference

Plus most people don't find fish disgusting to look at. That's why they call them fish tanks.

How many worm tanks have you seen?

IMO there are are nicer CUC members to fill their roll

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

My point is that you should identify them before killing them. My ability was suppose to highlight the flaw within the previous statement.
Yes their may be some other CUC that are more effective individually at cleaning specific things, but how many of the can get into the center of a rock?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I've never killed a worm in any of my tanks, and never lost a fish to them. That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I don't find anything wrong with these worms, nor do I find their earthworm cousins to be hard to look at. If you have large worms, you are overfeeding. Just cut back on feeding, and the worms will disappear.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

The question is, if worms don't do any harm why worry by making them disappear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well said mr. X. In my honest opinion there are a lot of organisms that get a very bad rap (bristles, emerald crabs, hermits, etc) for doing exactly what they do and nature, and fulfilling their purpose in the aquarium, to eat detritus. These animals have evolved to sense and consume decaying matter as soon as it dies. So often times as soon as a fish dies we see these organisms consuming what looks to be an other whys healthy fish, and assume they killed the fish. When in real life they are just doing what you put them into the aquarium to do, eat detritus.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, but I believe it was the OP that stated they witnessed it grab a healthy fish. I've never seen this though, and The common worms we usually see are far too slow for this.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

The mind has a tendency to jump to conclusions and fill in details. Eye witnesses are completely Fallible.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Gvillboy Send a message via Skype™ to Gvillboy
I don't want worms in my tank! I personally don't like them. I find them crawling on my corals from time to time and don't like it. I mean how big of a dent do they put in the detritus in my tank anyway?

Sent from my LG-D950 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 08-26-2014, 04:37 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Yes, but I believe it was the OP that stated they witnessed it grab a healthy fish. I've never seen this though, and The common worms we usually see are far too slow for this.
I have personally witnessed one totally pursuing a number of my sleeping fish, actually latching on to one's tail until shaken off. It went under the rock to the front of the tank and back again, after each fish- that was the only food he was looking for. My hubby was the one who saved the blenny- I was at work. I have no reason to dispute him, especially after what I saw and knowing I have had fish disappear overnight.

Tags
fish, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com