Bristle Worm... why me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

titoav15

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,
I have read up on bristle worms and had mixed opinion on wether its a good or a bad animal to have in tank, anyway I spoted him today, he is in the cave (orange with yellowish spines). I dont have a pic but I am 99% sure its a bristle worm. I dont even know how I got him. At this point I would love to get rid of him. I dont want to use traps because it sounds like a lot of mess. Would like to know alternative ways to kill or remove him. I heard an arrow crab will eat them, is that true? Should I buy one and consider it gone after a few nights? I have a reef tank, so I dont want something that would eat coral too ;)
Thank you sooooo much in advance!!
Alex

bristleworms are good sand sifters and detritus eaters, he'll do no harm.

just dont touch him =]

I bought a bi-colored psuedochromis about 3 years ago just I was new at the time and the Owner of the petshop told me it was peaceful fish so I picked it up. In no time at all all my bristle worms were gone, Only problem is that this fish is very territorial and will stand up to any size fish.....That's the good and the bad. LOL

only one worm? Feel lucky im only setting up my tank and my live rock has loads of them all over it.

Either way unless I notice them harming something they can stay.

bristleworms are good sand sifters and detritus eaters, he'll do no harm.

just dont touch him =]

My bristleworm is over a foot long. He literally devoured my dead fish and snails before I could even reach them in my reef tank. They are great animals to keep around especially if you're a busy person that doesn't have time to get your arms wet when you don't want to. They only come out at night though, which is how I caught a glimpse of him and took a pic! Listen to the dude above!

A foot long.... to me that is gross. I used to have small bristleworms and once I got a yellow wrasse they all disappeared.

My bristleworm is over a foot long. He literally devoured my dead fish and snails before I could even reach them in my reef tank. They are great animals to keep around especially if you're a busy person that doesn't have time to get your arms wet when you don't want to. They only come out at night though, which is how I caught a glimpse of him and took a pic! Listen to the dude above!

uhh, that may be a fire worm which is BAD for your tank, im pretty sure they eat coral too.

and ryshark im surprised you havent seen plenty of bristleworms that are 3'+ in length, those guys get MASSIVE. the only time i removed one was because it was much too big for my 14G

bristle worms are a good addition to a tank,I took some out of my nano and put them in my other tank to help keep it clean.

I agree that they are fine to have in the tank. They will help clean things up that snail and hermits don't get to. AS someone else said just don't touch them. They pack a bit of a sting from those "bristles".

Back
Top Bottom