Bristle Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddie.cob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got some bristle worms starting to appear on some of the live rock. They're very small and seem harmless. Are they? If so what can i do to get rid of them, is there something that eats them?

They are harmless, but sure are ugly looking. They will be great scavengers as part of your cuc.

If your looking for a fish that eats them, psuedochromis like to snack on them.

They are good janitors so I would leave them. I dont remove mine. Your tank is too small to add another fish to take care of the problem.

I should click the my tanks link more often. Says you already have a pseudo. He might take care of the decision for you :D

If I was you, I would very carefully pick out as many as you can, pack them with some wet sand from the tank and ship them overnight to ME! :rocol:

Bristle worms are good just be careful picking up rocks and things. You don't want to end up with a finger or handful of little bristles.

I've read that Bumble Bee snails take care of them too. I have two of these snails and they are really attractive but not seen all that often.

Bumble-bee snails : Carnivorous. Not very hardy. Marginal algae eaters, but more of a detritus grazer. They can prey on other snails and sand bed critters

Amazing how opinions differ:
Bimble bee snails: "Bumble bee snails are an ideal addition to the cleaning crew for any tank as they will eat any uneaten food, decaying matter and most algae species"......."burrows into your sand bed, consumes sand-dwelling worms, and helps aerate your substrate".........."relatively shy and is only seldom seen out during the day. The Bumble bee snail is easy to care for and quite hardy."

All I can say is that mine are doing fine and so are my other snails. I have 6 trochus, 3 Nassas and the 2 Bumble Bees. I saw all at the same time for the first time in months about 3 weeks ago about 2 hours after lights out...it was quite an occasion!

Liveaquaria says "
Though peaceful, keep in mind that the Bumble Bee Snail is a carnivore. If there is insufficient food, the Bumble Bee Snail may feed on other snails in your aquarium or indiscriminately consume polychaetes whether beneficial or the more troublesome bristleworm. In well-established systems, most Bumble Bee Snails do not require supplemental feeding. However, if sufficient food sources are unavailable, supplement their diet with offerings of meaty foods, including finely chopped brine or mysis shrimp and frozen meaty foods. "

Back
Top Bottom