Bristle Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisJackie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a lot of small bristle worms in my tank. What are the pros/cons? Should they be removed or are the good for my tank?

Chris

Bristleworms

I've got maybe 8 or so ranging in size from 1/2 inch to one that must be 4 inches or more (have yet to see his back end). Most all of mine are yellow/orange with white bristles. I've seen them eat everything from flake food to pieces of macroalgae.

Most of my guests think they are amazing...and they are attractive and mobile little guys.

I thought that my corals where in danger and bought a six line wrasse. Now I barely ever see a bristle in my main tank and my nusiance alge has gone up considerably!! Bristles are very good for the tank but just make sure your not grabbing one when your moving things around in your tank!! :wink:

Fireworm?

I wouldn't know the difference between a fireworm and a bristleworm. If I've got one..I've got at least 8. I've never seen one eat anything that isn't alright with me. Macroalgae and sometimes a piece of uneaten flake/frozen food.

If they are fireworms...what is the concern?

Fireworm....
fireworm.jpg

Common bristleworm....
BristleWorm.jpg

Fireworms can be quite destructive and will consume anything they can including coral flesh. They are usually quite distinguishable once you know what to look for. The one above is only an example and there are many different color markings to them. The general size and body shape will be similar with all of them though.

Cheers
Steve

I have a fireworm, I've seen it a few times. Not know what it was until after the 3rd time I let it be. If I see it again, it's gone.

Woo Hoo Mt wife was able to catch my dreaded fireworm. Now I get to concentrate on my cirolanid isopod problem. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Back
Top Bottom