Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

I lost my mandarin yesterday the nicest fish in the tank and had the tank well populated with pods mate was gutted that why I think it's the worms mate he slept rite at the bottom of the tank every morn I seen him getting worse with little pices nibbled of him and at mute he was grand and he was eating frozen food as well poor thing must have dreaded the dark lol

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Bristol worms are doing their jobs by eating the dying or the dead. They are not predators that kill fish they simply clean up the aftermath. The reason you have so many and that they are so big is because you are over feeding. This allows the population to multiply at an alarming rate. I only feed my tank every 2-3 days and not a lot at that my worm population is at a stable level. If your tanks has as many pods as you stated your fish will not starve without daily feedings.

Now am I correct in sayin that you only got these fish about two weeks ago? I do remember another thread that was started. Are you testing your water parameters? If not I would start. If I am correct you added the mandarin the goby and the Blenny all at once which is quite a heavy bioload for a 20gallon tank all at the same time. That is also a lot if bottom dwellers for that size tank. In mine I have 1-YWG and pistol combo and I wouldn't add anymore.

When adding fish to a tank on the smaller side I would suggest adding them one at a time. This will give your beneficial bacteria time to build up inbetween additions which creates less fluctuations. I would hold off on getting another mandarin fish as well. They are notoriously hard to keep and as you found out they die more often then not I won't even get one and my tank is almost a year old.

Feed less to bring down your worm population and hold off on getting another fish until your tank is a little more stable and then I would add one fish and see how that goes. Don't get the arrow crab they get fairly big and won't last in you tank. Not a fan of adding livestock to cure tanks problems it is only a cover up to the real issues that need to be dealt with first.

Man that was alot but I hope it helps any questions just ask.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I agree with all before me! Wow! Unanimous!
Yep, common bristle worms are just slow scavengers. No way could they catch fish. Think of them as earthworms, with defensive spines. If you have a lot of them, you have an abundance of nutrients. Cut back on the available food, and they will slowly diminish. Adding more livestock is not the answer.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys all taken onboard lol and noted thanks again I'm sure I won't be long till I'm bk with something else lol
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Arrow crabs do eat small bristle worms, many You Tube vids of them in action.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

My watchman goby and my spotted puffer both eat bristle worms, I call it 'eating mexican food'.
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's cool lol just got a arrowhead crab small 1 I no they grow big but looking out for a bigger tank the small 1 s are hard work as I've found out think 50- 60g tank should suit me and the arrowhead is really freaky and cool freaks out my wife lol
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm obsessed with nanos, but they come at a very high price- lost my 2 peppermint shrimp today- I added my puffer yesterday and think I had a nitrate spike/ mini cycle they were perfect together. Did a 10g change and found a ton of baby shrimp- so did puff and goby did too. All parameters normal. Time to get new shrimp.
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ummm, I think you may be looking at the wrong end of the puffer as to the cause of the shrimp loss. I think they eat shrimp.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Puffers eat anything with a shell..shrimp crabs and snails....puffers and shrimp..only if you want to feed puffer.....

Tags
worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com