Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bristle worms

Ho guys having a major problem I think the bristle worms are killing my small fish I no wat ur thinking no ways I thought the same and went throu all the usuall steps water primiiters all fine so thought maybe sea urchin but no spent haste anybody and clowns lov him so in the last 2 days set up with blue led torch and looked to see wat was going on bare in mind it's only the bottom dwellers treat are perishing ie mandarin dragon yellow goby turbo snail so far but the side of the worms are unbelievable and I read up and wen so big can become predators so the only plan I came up with us to get a arrowhead crab to sort out the problem risk maybe but the worms are 6" and bigger and was told buy previous owner of the rock that they pack a punch when touched any ideas thanks

Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a common argument among aquarists. I believe, though, that it is usually just a bunch of bristle worms doing major housekeeping after a death, making them a good hitchhikers- chucksaddiction.com has a good guide to common lr hitchhikers, good, bad and ugly oh- and if your bristle worm is hungry enough to go after gobies- known bristle worm eaters, then chances are your livestock would have starved and eaten the bristle worms first..... I think....

ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unless you have a predatory bristle worm like a fire worm, they are just cleaning house. I have a bristle worm bigger around than my yellow watchman who shares a burrow with the watchman & pistol shrimp.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just went down for another check I'm in Belfast so it's 130 am and there is quite a lot of them kicking about I only have a 20g tank and that many the lfs guy told me that the arrow head would keep them under control and could be doing the damage
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi ody mate, bristle worms thriving could mean you are over feeding too, I would cut back a little on feeding as they eat all the left over food and detritus.
How much, what and when do you feed your tank mate ?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi dude man only about a half a cube of frozen brine shrimp or other frozen food per day do you think I'm doing the rite thing with the arrow head crab it's just to keep the population down
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Never had an arrow crab mate as i have heard mixed reviews on them being reef safe or not but some wrasses eat them like crazy, ill have a look to see which wrasses eat them for ya !
Old 02-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Six line wrasses eat them mate I have 1 in my tank and its a lovely little fish
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah have been looking at them in the lfs and nice fish but they can be a hard on other fish in the tank
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

My six line wrasse was one of the last fish I put in my tank and its been a good boy up to now lol
Oh no come to think of it, it went for my mandarin and cut his tail a little but has never done it again !

Tags
worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com