Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray84 View Post
I didn't see that u removed them, Was trying help with the slime as u never stated if u had cleaned it and it had gone as no its a pain, the biggest killer is stress like bad water, bullying why asking about water tests and other stuff as if things are dying then something ain't right and we all love are fish
No I mean I found the quote button as in I made 3 posts back to back with only quotes. Do forgive me if I appeared rude it was my sarcasm. I am very appreciative of the responses and advice. I desperately want to find the cause so I will answer all questions. My reference to the ocean water is because dirty tank water does not smell like the wonderful salty smell of my beloved ocean.

The bio balls have been replaced with live rock rubble. I have fitted the sides of this chamber with plastic grating and fitted a top as well. I then have a cut to fit filtration pad and then I make my carbon bag myself to lay on top of the filter pad. My skimmer is in the chamber where the original filter would go. I'm posting a pic of the original BioCube setup to help aid in the description of the modifications I mentioned above. Oh and I have a 2nd water pump due to the fact that the one doesn't provide enough of a water flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3890699897.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	174220  

Old 05-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will say that the struggle with the purple slime and the aiptasia is still on going. I have the long algae growing on the back of the tank which was a reason I was wanting a little snail help. I know a little of this and that is good but too much of anything is not good.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Regular

A fresh pic of my tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2671645230.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	174221  
Old 05-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The tank doesn't look too bad. I would keep up with water changes for a while and feed minimally. Kalk paste the aptasia as you see them.
The reason the snails are dying is high nutrients. Nitrates or phosphates....one of the two is killing them. I just had a similar problem. I couldn't keep a snail alive until I got the high nutrient issue sorted out.
Mine was from build up in the sump.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can my live plants contribute to nitrates not being right?
The above pic was taken for the post but until 3days ago the rock on the left was seriously over grown so I trimmed a massive amount and moved them to my plant tank.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Can my live plants contribute to nitrates not being right?
The above pic was taken for the post but until 3days ago the rock on the left was seriously over grown so I trimmed a massive amount and moved them to my plant tank.
Your plants absorb nitrates and phosphates so they are helping remove them. On the other hand if they are growing so fast suggest there is plenty for them to consume lol
Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested your water for any presence of copper? It can kill cuc.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Have you tested your water for any presence of copper? It can kill cuc.
No I haven't done that but wouldn't copper show signs with my plants too
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
My meaning of cycling is what you explained with the water change. It's the only means by which I can gradually get the tank to a stabilized. I've actually come a long ways with it. Tho I did accidentally kill a firefish due to an avalanche once. I know that there's good bacterias that are in the sand so since I have the worms and such I mainly focus on rocks and walls of the tank. I have a modified filtering for my BioCube. It's not the original filter plate and lil balls. I have a skimmer in the compartment where the original filter would go. But I wouldn't do the the cycling more than once a week at most. I'm not a pro in saltwater or with corals however, I have experience in freshwater. Disturbing the tank too often causes too much stress on the critters and there is a higher chance of losing tank occupants.
There is also a chance that your constant work on your tank is creating stress on your fish. BTW cycling means the tank has matured that enough good bacteria has been established that there is a balance of converting ammonia or other toxic (nitrite) into less toxic nitrate and nitrogen. It's not partial changing of water. What is ammonia reading so far?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
There is also a chance that your constant work on your tank is creating stress on your fish. BTW cycling means the tank has matured that enough good bacteria has been established that there is a balance of converting ammonia or other toxic (nitrite) into less toxic nitrate and nitrogen. It's not partial changing of water. What is ammonia reading so far?
I'm sorry have you read this entire thread? Because I told Bray84 almost that exact first sentence of yours and he contested how wrong I was there.
I joined this forum for advice and at fist I was so delighted at how helpful and nice everyone here was. I received tons of helpful advice however, on this thread I seem to getting attacked for some reason.
BTW It was an overly mature tank when I received it. The cycling calls for me to what? Clean the tank and the rocks. This aquarium was a neglected purple slime mess and that would mean unbalance more bad than good bacterias. Hmm so if I keep cycling umm maybe it'll start balancing on an equal level. The most "constant work" I do on my tank is daily feeding, temperature check, fin count, and my favorite observation. I take notes of what I do, tests, water changes, adding anyone new, etc.
My ammonia tests have always been fine. I haven't let any of the tests go too far off target. The main ones that go off target are pH and Nitrate but they've only been slightly off.
I agree with too much food being available for the bristleworms, I double checked my filter and rock rubble to ensure the oxygen exchange thru the flow system. I did see a bit of an issue and I fixed it. I know the skimmer is fine it's new. If it was copper my plants would show fertility issues which it's opposite. The plants are growing amazingly. They are taking in some of the nitrates and if it weren't for them I'm sure my nitrate tests would be way off.
I began this thread because No I'm not familiar with all the possible reason that a shrimp won't survive in the tank. Originally I noticed my half alive shrimp being tickled by the bristleworms so therefore I blamed them. Forgive me. But I look into each persons advice seriously if its not trying to 1) insult my intelligence 2) requires me to keep repeating myself when I think everyone has a scroll and back button.
Now was there some advice you're offering or are you just having your fun trying to bully someone?

Tags
worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com