Bristle Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went ahead and disrupted an area of the tank that is most common area that the murders take place. Keep in mind the was a pre-established tank that was severely neglected and plagued with purple slime. That pic is in my album. I have been treating for aipstasia as well. These two photos are new sightings to me so please feel free to enlighten me on what they are if possible.

Attachments

• image-247644180.jpg
    image-247644180.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image-522158676.jpg
    image-522158676.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 116
Bristle worms can be a headache, if you let them get out of hand they will take over your tank. The best way I have found is a coral banded shrimp ( with your tank 1 should do the trick ), he will take care of the over population and keep them in check, plus they're really cool lookin and only cost around $20

I can't make out what kind of worm that is but that looks like aiptasia on the right and it will overrun your tank , I have found that fireshrimp work good on getting rid of them ( I went thru that myself )

The worm on the rock behaves more like a feather only much smaller. Comparable in size to the brine I feed my guys with.

Bristle worms can be a headache, if you let them get out of hand they will take over your tank. The best way I have found is a coral banded shrimp ( with your tank 1 should do the trick ), he will take care of the over population and keep them in check, plus they're really cool lookin and only cost around $20
This is not true. Overfeeding causes a large population of worms. The worms are a symptom of the real problem.
Bristle worms don't "sting" things. They eat dying snails and left over food. Your snails are dying and they are just cleaning up. They do not take down healthy snails, fish, or anything else.
the worms that actually eat snails don't do it in daylight and don't do it aggressively. They simply smother them with a mucous and then eat the dead body.

I went ahead and disrupted an area of the tank that is most common area that the murders take place. Keep in mind the was a pre-established tank that was severely neglected and plagued with purple slime. That pic is in my album. I have been treating for aipstasia as well. These two photos are new sightings to me so please feel free to enlighten me on what they are if possible.

The left is an amphipod and the right looks like a feather duster.

This is not true. Overfeeding causes a large population of worms. The worms are a symptom of the real problem.
Bristle worms don't "sting" things. They eat dying snails and left over food. Your snails are dying and they are just cleaning up. They do not take down healthy snails, fish, or anything else.
the worms that actually eat snails don't do it in daylight and don't do it aggressively. They simply smother them with a mucous and then eat the dead body.

I'm with mr X on this one, like I said in other post bristle/fireworms can't kill but clean up. Plus what u are calling bristle worms are fireworms, don't no right name for them. It's why said look into other stuff. Are u testing the water. Doing big water changes to sort out the red algae

Yes I am testing regularly and I am religious with my water changes. I think the picky water changes is because I live so close to the ocean and love the smell of sea water. I'd say biweekly changes unless a testing shows need for something sooner. Now most the live rock that is in the tank is from the inherited state of neglect. Should I consider exchanging it? Should I just keep cycling? I have a small 3gal tank that just circulates and I do 2 cup water changes every other day. I keep my plants going in it. I suppose I can keep snails and shrimp in it for a bit.

I'm no pro but would do 100% tank clean and don't mean the water mean everything to remove the slime algae, with the rock best way clean it is have two buckets one with clean water and other with clean or tank water and remove each rock and clean it in tank water bucket and rinse in clean water before put back in tank. But do the tank before the rock and do big water changes few times a week till its gone as having it in tank ain't good really. Plus the algae can hide nitrates so test show its fine. Cus the person before was over feeding and didn't look after it things ain't goin change over night so best thing to start with is the slime What u mean keep cycling?

I'm no pro but would do 100% tank clean and don't mean the water mean everything to remove the slime algae, with the rock best way clean it is have two buckets one with clean water and other with clean or tank water and remove each rock and clean it in tank water bucket and rinse in clean water before put back in tank. But do the tank before the rock and do big water changes few times a week till its gone as having it in tank ain't good really. Plus the algae can hide nitrates so test show its fine. Cus the person before was over feeding and didn't look after it things ain't goin change over night so best thing to start with is the slime What u mean keep cycling?

My meaning of cycling is what you explained with the water change. It's the only means by which I can gradually get the tank to a stabilized. I've actually come a long ways with it. Tho I did accidentally kill a firefish due to an avalanche once. I know that there's good bacterias that are in the sand so since I have the worms and such I mainly focus on rocks and walls of the tank. I have a modified filtering for my BioCube. It's not the original filter plate and lil balls. I have a skimmer in the compartment where the original filter would go. But I wouldn't do the the cycling more than once a week at most. I'm not a pro in saltwater or with corals however, I have experience in freshwater. Disturbing the tank too often causes too much stress on the critters and there is a higher chance of losing tank occupants.

As Mr. X and others have stated its probably not your bristle worms killing anything. They are doing their job cleaning up decaying matter and getting blamed. There are things to control bristle worms such as traps, six line wrasses, and arrow crabs however there is probably a better solution in finding out why your inhabitants are dying. What are you testing with, liquid test or strips? Did I read it right that you are using water from the ocean or are you mixing your own water?

You mentioned you regularly check your water parameter but I can not find the result if you posted it. One possibility your fish are dying is you may have low oxygen in your tank.

Disturbing the tank too often causes too much stress on the critters and there is a higher chance of losing tank occupants

Don't no where u got this info from as I had slime once before and done 3 big water changes a week and never stressed anything in fact my fish loved if so unless ur chasing the fish about they will just stay out the way. Still to this day I will do 1 or 2 water changes a week and plus did u say ur using bio balls and if so would look into using something else as can have a build up of nitrates. One last thing is if ur only doin water changes once a week then will never get rid of the slime

As Mr. X and others have stated its probably not your bristle worms killing anything. They are doing their job cleaning up decaying matter and getting blamed. There are things to control bristle worms such as traps, six line wrasses, and arrow crabs however there is probably a better solution in finding out why your inhabitants are dying. What are you testing with, liquid test or strips? Did I read it right that you are using water from the ocean or are you mixing your own water?

I am using liquid tests and though Panama City beach is the cleanest I DO NOT use ocean water. I don't mix mine either I buy my water from whom I buy my corals. It's not ALL inhabitants that are dying. I have a very healthy clown, firefish, and one small snail. The ones that have kept dying are shrimp, turbo snails, and starfish.

You mentioned you regularly check your water parameter but I can not find the result if you posted it. One possibility your fish are dying is you may have low oxygen in your tank.

My water tests come out fine with occasional off target results and I change the water. I have live plants growing in the tank and I don't believe lack of oxygen is the issue in this case being that its crustaceans that aren't surviving and corals and fish are ok.

Disturbing the tank too often causes too much stress on the critters and there is a higher chance of losing tank occupants

Don't no where u got this info from as I had slime once before and done 3 big water changes a week and never stressed anything in fact my fish loved if so unless ur chasing the fish about they will just stay out the way. Still to this day I will do 1 or 2 water changes a week and plus did u say ur using bio balls and if so would look into using something else as can have a build up of nitrates. One last thing is if ur only doin water changes once a week then will never get rid of the slime

I said I removed the bio balls. I'm new to the forum but I found the quote button.
As for where I got the info... Besides common sense many who I've met who own a tropical fish store, an aquarium fish and more store, and many who have extensive reef coral aquariums I knew in my past explained... One of the biggest killers to corals and fish are the owners sticking their hands in too much. It's very easy to contaminate the water and the risk goes higher the more you put your hands in. Also, there is a reason that the feather duster shoots in and the scallop snaps shut. A hand is not natural in its environment. As for being affectionate with my critters. They see me thru the glass and follow me (clown fish) we have our fun. And as for the slime along with my cycling I also use ChemiClean and it works amazingly. If you look in my album there's the infected purple slime tank and just moments later just left with the algae.

I didn't see that u removed them, Was trying help with the slime as u never stated if u had cleaned it and it had gone as no its a pain, the biggest killer is stress like bad water, bullying why asking about water tests and other stuff as if things are dying then something ain't right and we all love are fish

Back
Top Bottom