Brittle Star hitch Hiker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VAguy39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recieved some LR from liverocks.com. I have the rock in a 10 gallon tank I am cycling at my office. Amonia in the tank now is off the chart. I found a Brittle star curled up on the sand bed. I have since removed him from the tank and placed him in some good Saltwater from my main tank at home. He seems to be doing fine now. Can I add this guy into my tank at home? I do not have a qt tank setup that I can keep him in. I have a 26 gal. bowfront at home. I have him in a small palstic container at the moment.

Thanks....

Thanks...he looks like he will be a cool addition to my tank. I do not have a Brittle star but read they are a good addition to my cleanup crew. Do I need to worry that he will hurt any of my other fish? I also have a cleaner shrimp, will he be ok with him?

Brittle Stars and Serpent Stars very rarely both other tank inhabitants, inverts or fish.

I put the little guy in my main tank. He went right for my rocks and hid himself in the rock. He seems like he may be fine. I will keep my eye on him.

I put the little guy in my main tank. He went right for my rocks and hid himself in the rock. He seems like he may be fine. I will keep my eye on him.
Very cool!! :)
You may not see much of him, they tend to hide during lighting hours only to come out at night to search for food.

Cool....I have the Corallife with Lunar aquatics lighting so I hope I see him at night under the lunar lights. :D

VAguy39 said:

Yeah, do not plan on seeing it much. I have one that I usually only see an occasional arm coming out from the rocks to grab a moral of food. This AM I had to get up extra early. I turned on the main light in the room and the brittle star was out on the glass. I could not believe how big it has grown. The disk was at least 3" in total it is 10-12" across.

IMO, they are a great addition to any tank.

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom