Brittle Stars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recieved a free piece of LR from my LFS, and it was covered in Brittle stars! From what I can count possibly 5 maybe 6-7!!!!

My question is ...
I drip acclimated this piece of LR for an hour just because of the fact it had all these stars on it. All the stars seem to be doing fine, I can see multitudes of arms sticking out of the rocks and if I wait until the lights go out a few of them actually venture out. Do Brittle stars ever come out of the LR when the lights are on or just at night!

Thanks
Jermz

I have a bunch and have never seen anything other that their little arms sticking out of the rock.

I have one really big one that is so cool. I have a new born so whenever I am up feeding at 3am, I turn on a light near the tank and always see the brittle star sprawled accross the rock. Looks like some kind of wild octopus. I can't wait to get another but I am trying to prove to my wife that I can go 30 days without spending money on my hobby. 18 days to go... :roll:

I have a huge one in my tank. The only time I see him out when the lights are on is when I'm feeding the rest of the fish. I've gotten to the point where as soon as the food hits the water he comes out. I actually hand feed him to make sure he's getting enough food. I love these starfish!!

zacdl said:
Wow, I want a britle star, could you send me one?

I wish I could!!!

I wish they would come out so I could see them. I have 5 that I know of and 2 or 3 little ones that just hang out in the crevices of the rock! They are all different colors as well ... black and white striped, red and white striped, brown and tan, and a solid red and a solid light purple! This piece of rock was crawling with life, and best of all it was free ... yaaaaay for free stuff!

Brittle stars are pretty much nocturnal but are sooooo cool to watch and they are hardy too!! :D

get a moon light and they should come out...I had abunch on mine and have a few the survided the cyclin but they only come out at night and some not at all

The little ones we find on LR are usually different than the larger ones mentioned above.
You may catch them out at night, but they stay in the rock crevices for the most part.
I have a red one that I purchased about 18 months ago. He has grown to almost a foot wide and comes out often.

Back
Top Bottom