Broke the third cardinal rule of reefkeeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think there are three basic rules to reefkeeping
1) Patience
2) Research (before purchases)
3) Know your equipment

The third is where I faultered. I just felt so dumb I had to share. I have had the JBJ Nano for 9 mon now, just started having hair algae problems.
I do routine chem checks and never really noticed anything out of the ordinary. I was cleaning the back compartments and found out that there are (were) three Mechanical filters in there. I used to just clean the one (since removed) on the top intake side. Just found another at the bottom of the same intake compartment, as well as ont in the middle compartment. needless to say they were pretty nasty. Wish I had a microscope to really look at these. I syphoned out the compartments and clouded up my water pretty bad. Added some GAC and a temporary phos. pad, and put one mech. filter back in for a day or two to help clear things up. I hope I didn't cause too much damage but releasing this stuff into the water column. I will also be doing water changes a few times this week to help.
:(

only because its a nano would it be any real issue. if it filtered out and your water tests ok for nitrates I wouldn't worry.

Back
Top Bottom