Broken Claws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkUmbreon

Aquarium Advice Regular
A coral banded shrimp I caught got it's 2 claws removed while I was trying to catch it. Will it grow back? Will it live?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would be surprised if it lives. If it was just one arm it can grow back but with both I can't really go e you a for sure answer.

Why do you say this? They usually use their other tiny claws for feeding.

Why do you say this? They usually use their other tiny claws for feeding.

He's just giving you his opinion, and I have to agree with it, but I'm sorry about your shrimp. I have had a lot of experience with shrimp in FW, and a bit in SW too, and the use their claws for getting around, feeding, defense, etc. The loss of two large limbs is traumatic, aside from any effects it may have on other abilities

However, there is no guarantee he will live or won't, so the best thing you can do for him now is make a low stress environment.

in the wild they lose there limbs a lot
it will most likely get its limbs back during it's next molt
but you may need to hand feed him till the molt occurs to prevent starvation

Yes I am pretty sure they purposely lose their large claws as a defense mechanism like geckos, I caught this at a beach so I wouldnt be too sad about it. But you rarely see them at the intertidal zone, usually down ib the reefs, I have no idea why it was in there. Maybe it got washed up?

So if it's taken from the beach and perishes it's not really that bad, but if you had purchased it, it would be more upsetting? Not sure I follow the logic there, sorry

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So if it's taken from the beach and perishes it's not really that bad, but if you had purchased it, it would be more upsetting? Not sure I follow the logic there, sorry

Sorry but this is true, it's really not cool to take wildlife from the beach or a reef. I would be more sad to lose an animal taken needlessly from its natural habitat than a captive bred, or even harvested animal.

That is exactly my point, thank you for seeing it also

They lose their claws as an defense mechanism mine does it all the time and when he molts it back your shrimp will be fine he has his other little feet to feed with it may hide alittle while its claws are gone but once it molts they will be back like nothing ever happened its pretty cool actually

It's eating some flakes, it should be fine, hope it molts soon.

I don't see any difference between taking things from the ocean yourself, or paying someone else to do it. Either way, buying something from the LFS or diving for it yourself is raping the ocean.

I don't see any difference between taking things from the ocean yourself, or paying someone else to do it. Either way, buying something from the LFS or diving for it yourself is raping the ocean.

That's true, most things at any LFS are wild caught, which isn't any better than catching them yourself. The thing is, the businesses that catch and export animals are not going to stop anytime soon. They may improve their ethics slightly and harvest more sustainably/humanely (which still is not solving the problem), but individuals CAN make a difference by refraining from taking the reefs and marine animals from their natural habitat, no matter how insignificant one thinks the impact will be. The aquarium trade overall definitely does not have a positive impact on our oceans, and one thing we can do to improve our impact is to not catch and keep animals.

They will grow back. Taking a pair of shrimp is not raping the ocean. I catch fish myself.

It just molted last night, it didn't grow it's claws back, it's probably going to take several molts before I see significant growth.

I'm not trying to be rude, but people taking parts of our oceans, and reefs, is one of the biggest arguments against the aquarium hobby. Doing our best to preserve our amazing reefs is the best thing we can do to preserve the ocean, as well as this amazing hobby for future generations.

Back
Top Bottom