Broken Tank, Please Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthony.grimes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I took my tank down to drill it for overflows and install an overflow box. While the seems for the overflow box were drying the top of the tank cracked. It was empty when it happened so it was not due to the force of the water. I had it sitting unevenly of chairs for about 3 hours (wont make that mistake again). I have since filled it an the crack did not get larger (filled it on the ground on my driveway). It is still holding water fine.

Do you think I should try to fix it? not worry about it? or throw the whole tank away?

The crack is in the piece of acrylic that is on top of the tank. It is on the right hand side and extends almost to the edge of the tank. Top, sides and bottom, are 3/8" acrylic.

Attachments

• img_1370_164.jpg
    img_1370_164.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 20
  • img_1372_170.jpg
    img_1372_170.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 35
maybe put another piece of acrylic either on the topside or the underside as a support to it if there is any question of it holding. (like they patch holes that have been drilled in tanks)
I am not sure how much stress will be on that area, but if there is any chance that it will allow the sides to bow any, I would add the support.

yeah it has been filled for about 30min and seems to be doing fine. but better safe than sorry. The crack is not of the center brace so there is no bowing or anything.

I would glue another piece of acrylic ontop of that crack cover the entire area with glue and put a piece over it.

That crack probably started because the inside corner was not rounded and smooth. I would take a round file and smooth all of the corners to avoid a recurrance.

anthony.grimes said:
Thats what I just did! Thanks for all of the help guys! hopefully it will hold.

Seems to me if you have to "hope", you are asking for trouble. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy...

Well the corners are rounded on the inside so I dont think that is why it cracked. I filled the crack with acrylic glue and glued an extra piece to the top and the bottom, from my understanding that should be more than sufficient. Thanks for all your input everyone.

Back
Top Bottom