Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok, I meant during changes I use sw, the tank doesn't have too much evaporation. I do not have the equipment for RO, and can't afford anything too expensive right now so I either use spring water or filtered tap water.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Look around and see if any of the grocery stores in your area sell RO water by the gallon....you can bring a container and fill it up at the machines. I used this method until I could buy an ro unit. I remember paying something like 25 cents per gallon

Old 03-02-2004, 01:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to OhTheHumanity
I started my new tank 2 weeks ago with 80lbs of LR. 5 days later I had a large diatom bloom. The stuff is an eyesore, but it didn't hurt anything. Over the last 5 days or so it's been slowly going away. The diatoms that were on the bank of my tank are starting to peel off in small strips.

Last night I bought a Yellow Tang and he wasn't in the tank 5 minutes before he started eating the brown and green hair algae on a few of my rocks. It was about half to three quarters of an inch long. It's almost not there now. The Tang took care of that in a hurry. So I had to buy some dry green algae tonight.

To make a long story longer I was pretty upset about my diatom bloom. I was told on here it would likely go away as it is a result of cycling. Everyone was right it's going and hopefully it will soon be gone.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well thanks to all for the advice, I was worried about getting a yellow tang because of their size, but I will look into getting RO from a grocer around here!

Tags
algae, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com