Brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carluchio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey ya!
I'm new to the forum :))))
I have a aqua one 275 litre saltwater tank. I've had the tank cycling now for one week. It's a new set up. I bought the water pre mixed from the fish store. I also bought all the live rock from there aswell. I noticed on Monday that the gravel was a bit stained. Now when I woke up this morning it was really brown on the rocks and sand!!! I have checked the salinity, kh, ph, ammo, no3 and no4. All of these are within range! Help!! What is this? Brown algae? What's the cure?
Carlo Uk

image-3589255525.jpg

image-1640439229.jpg

image-259186394.jpg

Mine had that too at the begining. I cut down the feeding and lowered the time the light is on and it slowly went away on its own.

Those are diatoms and happen with almost every new tank. They are a pain but they go away with time. I would blow them off the rocks with a turkey baster before water changes to suck some out. It's really part of the process of setting up a tank. They don't need light so cutting the light down won't help. Just keep sucking them off the sand and rocks and at some point you'll win the battle. I remember my bloom lasted over a month, its normal...

Yep, diatoms, perfectly normal to get with any new tank. they will burn themselves out shortly so don't worry too much. :)

Thank you so much for all your responses peeps. Hopefully it clears quick sharp! Is it okay to add fish while this is in the tank?
Thank uuuuuuu! :)))))))

If you are cycled then I don't see why not. :) just limit your feedings so you dont contribute to other algae growing.

Good luck!

What's the best way to get it off the sand? I haven't attempted yet. Or will it just disappear? :))) gravel sucker?

I dont use a gravel vac in my saltwater tanks, it's best to leave the sandbed alone entirely. The diatoms will just burn themselves out and disappear.

if you find you have stuff piling up on the sand or in anyplace in your tank then you just need better circulation. :) There should be no dead spots for anything to accumulate.

I held the vacume slightly above the sand. The diatoms are light and can be sucked off without disturbing the sand/gravel....

Bought a gravel cleaner didn't work great but moved the algae around enough to get rid of it lol. The tank looks amazing still tho! Moved the live rock around again today :))) I'm happy at last!

Back
Top Bottom