Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2018, 06:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
I donít think you can have too much flow
Unless your fish are in the rockwork 24/7
The issue you might get is sand all over so you need to see the balance between good flow and not destrying your coral and sand
Keep in mind blasting certain coral with too much flow would kill some coral

Another option is to use flow and sand sifters or movers like a diamond goby, sand sifting star, large nassarius snails

Ok, just to recap for myself...

The fish wonít be affected by too much flow, but the sand/corals might be.

I already have a yellow watchman goby, but he doesnít like to dig his holes in the area where the Alge is the worst. Iíll try increasing the flow tomorrow morning.
Thank you so much for your help

Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_tseu View Post
Ok, just to recap for myself...

The fish wonít be affected by too much flow, but the sand/corals might be.

I already have a yellow watchman goby, but he doesnít like to dig his holes in the area where the Alge is the worst. Iíll try increasing the flow tomorrow morning.
Thank you so much for your help

Sounds about right
if fish are not swimming properly its too much its normal for them to get pushed around a bit but if its a constant struggle or hiding then its too much

Watchman gobies are nice and sift a bit of sand but diamond gobies are constant sifters so i would recommend one of those if your tank isnít big enough you might need to rehome the watchman gobie

Diamond gobies need a top as they can (probably would) jump in the beginning

I would highly recommend the sand sifting star and large nassarius snails

Old 12-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #13

Ok, Iíll look into it and see if any of my fish dealers have any of those animals.
Thank you so much! Youíve been lots of help
Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't add additional livestock for this. It is cyanobacteria that feeds off of nutrients in the water column and in low flow areas. Adding more eating and pooping creatures only adds to nutrients in the water column, that and there isn't anything that eats cyanobacteria.

The issue will get better with the lights out due to cyano needing a light source as well. It will simply show back up once the lights come back on.

Keep going with the water changes. Add a power head and adjust it so it isn't creating a sandstorm. Things should be just fine without adding anything else.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Don't add additional livestock for this. It is cyanobacteria that feeds off of nutrients in the water column and in low flow areas. Adding more eating and pooping creatures only adds to nutrients in the water column, that and there isn't anything that eats cyanobacteria.

The issue will get better with the lights out due to cyano needing a light source as well. It will simply show back up once the lights come back on.

Keep going with the water changes. Add a power head and adjust it so it isn't creating a sandstorm. Things should be just fine without adding anything else.

Its a old argument

i have seen cyano in extremely low nutrient tanks
cyano grows on detritus that doesnít move, getting that detritus to move would help the problem and using flow is ideal, flow can be tricky though you need enough to move the detritus but not make a sand storm, flow canít reach all areas of a tank behind rocks etc thats where a cleanup crew comes in they move the detritus to areas that the flow will pickup and filter out

A diamond goby is a great sand sifter that doesnít get sand all over

Im a firm believer that snails and sand sifting stars clean more than they poop and if cyano is on a sand bed they will turn over the sand in places flow canít get too, so in my opinion getting a couple nassarius snails and a starfish wonít add to the problem
Diamond goby

If it was a question of cyano on rocks i would suggest different options

Tags
algae, brown, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« duncan question | - »