Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon tank that has been setup for about 2 months now. well i also have really bad brown algae i was told it was only to last about 1 or 2 weeks. well its been there about a month and half now. what should i do to get rid of it. my ammonia and nitrites are at 0. and im using ro/di water. thanks alot

Have you ever checked your PO4 level? PO4 is one of the biggest "feeders" of algae. Does your RO have a DI stage? The DI stage removes most of the PO4.
Also how much do you feed and how often? Do you drain the packaging juice from the frozen food before adding?
How long is you lighting period every day? Do you have a skimmer?
Its most likely diatoms and they should go away eventually, but nutrient control is the key to elimination.

most likely PO4. I had bad algae growth in my tank for 3 months and i finally added a PO4 filter pad in my filter and poof, algae was starting do decrease in a matter of days. Good luck!

my ro/di has a di filter part in it. my tank gets about 12 hours of light i day which will be getting cut back when i get timers for my lights. i dont over feed my tomato clown and my blue damsel eat everything right up. i havent fed any frozed foods yet so juice is not a problem. i will pick up a po4 pad tomarrow. i dont have a po4 tester and i dont have the money for one either since im just a student in high school that always burns money on something else.

Back
Top Bottom