Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2005, 01:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brown Algae

Hope this doesn't post twice, sorry if it does, but it did something funny a minute ago when I submitted it.

I have a lot of brown algae (diatom algae???) in my tank. I had it before and did a water change after brushing it off the rocks with a little scrub brush. I got it again when I went on vacation and someone else was feeding my fish. I brushed the rocks and removed the algae from the front and sides of the tank , then did a water change to remove it once it was in the water, but it came back faster this time, like in a week, as opposed to last time, which took much longer. I left some of the algae on the back for the snails, maybe I should have removed it all.

I checked nitrates and other stuff. Nitrates went to 40 while I was away, but they're back to between 10 and 20 now and have been, so I don't know if it's normal to get this brown algae so often/quickly.

Forgive me if I'm petty, but I really prefer to look at the purple crystaline and red algae, and the cool green stuff, not this icky brown. Please advise. FYI, protein skimmer not hooked up yet, will that help this problem?

forgot the picture, here it is.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long has your tank been set up? Are you still cycling? What's in your tank? Did anything die?

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have live rock, two cleaner shrimps. regal tang, ocellarous clown, three blue-green cromis, 2 blue cromis, one serpent star, four turbo snails and a sally lightfoot crab, oh and one hermit crab.

Tank set up since April 19th, I don't think it's cycling, but I did do a 50% water change (recommended by "Salt Water Aquariums for Dummies" to deal with algae bloom. To start my tank, a friend gave me a 15-gallon tank with some fish and I used his sand and live rock and some of his fish, added a bag of live sand and it cycled instantly. I just remembered that recently I added a bunch of rock that someone gave me from a fresh water tank (so it's not live), but I heard somewhere, after I had added it of course, that too much dead rock at once can cause problem. Could that be why this is happening? All of the dead rock is covered with algae, so it won't be dead for long, maybe this will work itself out?

One green cromis died the day after I bought it, but everything else is fine and nothing has died that's been in there since the beginning.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How often are you feeding

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Absolutely yes, the rock is causing your tank to cycle again. I'm not sure what your outcome will be on this one. Sounds like diatoms and it's usually a sign of the end of a cycle. I'm sure someone else will know better than me. Keep up with your water changes. I hope your fishes are still ok.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have the same problem Will it go away one the cycles complete? Does adding the stuff called 'Cycle' work to speed it up?
thanks,
Scott
Old 06-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes it will go away on its own. If you are seeing this your cycle is probably coming to an end. I would wait until nitrates are 0 and ammonia are 0 and then do a 20% water change. HTH

Old 06-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

my cycle has been done for a while now and I'm still getting the diatom dusting...I've also a cyano problem(slight) and I believe it was triggered by a dead tunicate.. and now it's being maintained by the phytoplex that I'm feeding once a week.. what are u feeding the tank?
Old 06-12-2005, 02:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am feeding twice a day. Usually spiruline flakes in the moring and meaty food (shrimp, marine cuisine) at night. I used the Salt Water Aquariums for Dummies book to get started and in there the author recommends feeding twice a day. Is that too much?

All of my fish are still fine and the nitrates are between 10 and 20. The fish don't look stressed, actually they look really healthy. Assuming the dead rock is causing the recycling and I have the diatoms indicating end of cycling, can I just scrub off the algae and do a water change to get the algae out? I did that last week, but is doing it again so soon going to hurt anything? I've been doing water changes once every two weeks.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes that's to much. You should only be feeding once a day. IMO flakes pollute your tank. You mentioned at night. You do feed when the lights are on right? If your fish don't eat everything in a couple of minutes your put to much food in. Stick to the frozen foods. Mine usually eat what I feed within 30 seconds to a minute. But they are very eager feeders.

Tags
algae, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com