Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will a clean up crew take care of the brown algae in my tank. It has been set up for less than a month. I do know that the algae will go away from what I heard but I want a clean up crew and wanted to know if they would eat this also so I do not have to buy dried seaweed.

Thanks Mason

dont know yet. It just showed up or I just noticed it this morning it looks like just regular freshwater algae but brown. It is in like 5 little spots about the size of an pencil eraser on the sand. Also some little spots on my coral skeletons. (I have a 100 gal long tank) so there is not much.

I've got some grasslike brown algae growing on my liverock and some dustlike rusty algae growing on my sand. I've started cycling my tank about a week ago. From what I understand this is normal. Am I right?

you arrrrrrrrrre correct sir. It seems to be normal in new tanks. Wait it out it'll go away on its own OR I went and got 20 turbos and they are making quick work of all that brown stuff.

Jason

He's right, the diatoms (same ones from freshwater) will burnout, and if they return turbos make quick work of it.

My turbos (not astrea turbos, commonly mislabeled) are a little overwhelmed at the amount of brown algae - I had the dotty stuff, slimy stuff and hairy stuff. It wipes away very easily and is only on the front glass (and glass center support beam). I didn't realize it, but I had a couple beams of sunlight reaching through a couple windows near my tank and they match exactly where the stuff is growing (silly me) -- covered those up, it started dissipating and water is clearing up fast (within past couple days). Who would have thought that the sun could be detrimental? Hah.

In your case its just a new-tank bloom. Waterchanges waterchanges what her changes.....uh, yeah. :lol:

yeah it is not bad but getting more of it, It is not on the glass yet. Just the sand and coral skeletons and barnacles. I will see about getting some snails just because I want to have them in there later on anyway.

Back
Top Bottom