brown algae crazy growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm new here but I had a similar problem while setting up my new aquarium during it's initial cycle. Brown algae started forming on the rocks and I immediately added a phosphate reactor. Within 3 days I saw a marked difference in the amount of brown algae build up.

Cheers

Wael

Yea I added phosphate sponges to my fx5 canister filter 2 weeks ago but still no luck/:

I'm confused, do you have a phosphate filter in your system or not? The one I've seen looks like finely crushed brown stones. It's sold as gravel or it comes with a clear canister that attaches to a relatively small pump (sold separately). This help control my brown algae problem as per members recommendations on this forum. However my tank is new and I started early so the issue was caught before it took over. But the rate at which the brown algae was spreading was very fast. The phosphate reactor wasn't expensive really considering it's a German brand (Aqua Medic) and small Chinese pump. The LFS said a strong pump will not allow the water to filter properly and may push gravel out of the canister.

Cheers

Wael

1- lights are on a bit to much.
2- you said you was using tap water :-/ really bad just cause you changed to Ro water does not mean that everything from your tap water is out, it takes a very long time for phosphates, and other contaminents...
3- "brown algae" diatoms are a sign that your tank is going tru a cycle or if your tank has been setup for a while then it could be going tru a mini cycle

Mind you these are my opinion :)

You could be triggering the "mini cycle". By stirring the sand to hide brown algae, you are stirring up dead material which affects your water parameters.

Ok yea I have the crushed gravel stuff and its from Kent to remove nitrates but its not working as great.. I have 1 jet behind all my liverock to keep the poop from staying behind it and it pushes it too the intake for my fluval fx5 i believe its 200 gph thanku sooo much for all ur guys interests and help I'm really appreciating it!

Back
Top Bottom