Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

In freshwater tanks and salt fish only tanks filter medias and floss is not a major issue but in reef tank they cause problems because inverts/corals are more susceptible to nitrates and phosphates. Also the intense lighting in reef tanks can cause algae problems when mixed with nitrates and phosphates.

Eliminating the nitrates and phosphates will starve out algae and allow your tank to flourish under the intense lighting without algae problems.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Talking Pls Vote, yes or no to trickle filter in SW tank thks

Hi all, went to the pet store today. the light they sold me just smoked, so I wanted to replace it. I got a live rock instead. Oh well.
In regards to the filter system they told me not to remove the filter. They said the tank needs to filter. He was against having my tank up without a trickle filter. So seems I get two different stories. Oh well. I will take a vote. So all pls read and vote. thanks

Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trickle filter is a biological filter. So is love rock. If you have sufficient live rock then you dont need the trickle.

Ive never had a fish store tell me something useful. And obviously he doesnt know what hes talking about. You can keep the trickle but its not gonna help anything, only hurt. Bet he didnt say why.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also most reef tanks dont use trickle filters so why would you have to? See where im getting at? Its not doing anything for your system. But obviously choice is yours.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #15

Ok guess no trickle filter. Yes he didn't give my any reason why not to use it. Of course they turned me to the live rocks and not the ones for base rocks. (not live ones) They of course said, who are these people in forums. How do you know they are not trying to grow a certain fish that doesn't need a filter. I had purchased this filter thinking it would help. It sure builds up a lot of yuck, kinda brown looking, well also kinda tan. Anyway so no trickle filter. thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep.

No fish needs a trickle filter so that guy is obviously trying to sell crap down your throat. Gotta be careful trusting fish stores. In the end they are looking to make a buck, not so much help.

Forums on the other hand are not trying to sell you anything and have no other motive usually but to help your animals survive and live happy.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #17

You know you are right. They seemed nice sold me this trickle filter. Can give me no reason why to keep using it. It seems to collect gunk, which I thought was important. I will not use it anymore. Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Protein skimmers collect a lot of gunk. My want to consider that. They are really gross to clean out though
Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

^? Lol

Thats is a protein skimmers job.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, just gross

I actually run mine a little more wet.

Tags
algae, brown, brown algae, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com