Brown algae mat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rscomia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep having brown algae growing on my sand if left long enough it becomes a mat like algae What could be causing this? my water parameters check fine and the tank has been up for over three months I would think I would be through the diatoms stage??

It sounds like diatom. I think every new tank will get them eventually. I thought I got lucky but they're growing on my rock right now. It'll eventually die off unlike other algae. If you want to fix it you can do the following:

1. cut back on feeding
2. cut back on lighting. If you dont have coral, leave it off for like 3 days and it'll help a lot
3. PWC will lower the nutrients needed by the algae to grow

If you can post a picture, we can confirm if its diatom or not

this is some pics

Attachments

• 2011-05-22 08.24.14.jpg
    2011-05-22 08.24.14.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 2011-05-22 08.23.56.jpg
    2011-05-22 08.23.56.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 143
Great advice Henry. I agree if you don't have any corals leave you're lights off for a few days that will help along with the PWC's. And maybe if you cut back feed'n you're fish to every other day if thats not what you are do'n already. I remember I had that problem early on when I first started And I did exactally what is stated above and the problem went away. Good luck.

How much part will the lights play in this? I have coral and cant just shut my lights off I am doing 5 gallon pwc a week on a 90 gallon with a 29 gallon sump Is this enough or should I up that? I do feed everyday but small amounts so cutting back on feeding is something I can do

on a 90 gal I would do at the very least 15 gal PWC and the light situation is tough with the coral. I suggest maybe leave'n em on for 5 to 6 hours at the most for a few days and see how that works out. I didn't have corals when I had that problem so I'm guess'n by have'n em on for just those few hours a day may effect the amout of time it will take to end the problem. It may take a little longer but I think it will still work.

If you have corals, research around to see how many hours is recommended for each and leave your light on only enough too keep your coral happy.

I've read just cut back on the whites leave atincs alone... i got a orange spotted goby.. cleaned my sand bed like no tomorrow... also get some chestnut turbid they did a great job on rocks..

Back
Top Bottom