Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-18-2004, 10:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Brown algae problem

I have a new 90 Gallon fish only salt tank and it's been setup for about 2 weeks now. The only thing I have in there are 2 damsels. My setup right now is 2 fluval 404's, 2 powerheads and waiting on the protein skimmer. In the meantime, I have to clean the tank walls everyday to get this stuff off of there, and not to mention the build up on the coral itself. Do you know what might be causing this to happen? Would a protein skimmer remove this crap out of the tank? I'm not sure what is causing this problem, but it's annoying. I am new to this, so any help would be great. Thanks

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Check out this Topic.

125 Gal-35 Gal Wet/Dry-Tetra-Tec PF500 HOB Filter
(3) AuquaClear 301 Powerheads-600 GPH Circulating Pump
Automatic Tempature Controller
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a 90 gal fish only tank for several years and brown algae was my biggest problem. I'm about to get back into salt tanks and I'm intent on not stuggling with the brown stuff again. Here's what I've been hearing from this site and other sources:

Silicates are one of the primary things you want to reduce to keep brown algae down - use only RO/DI water to keep from reintroducing silicates into the tank. Use a good substrate that won't put silicates into your water. I was using Florida beach sand and apparently that was a really stupid thing to do. I've had people recommend crushed coral as a good non-silicate leaching substrate.

Also, most folks seem to agree that you're going to go through a short brown algae spell when you start up/cycle. That's what you're doing now, so I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it. If it persists after a couple of months, I'd get concerned.

Again, I'm passing on what I've heard/learned from others, so if any of this sounds out of whack to others, please feel free to correct.
IMPERATORFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com