Brown algae that relocates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allisonzim28

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hmm... So it started off on the floor of my 12gal tank.... And now it's gone and at the top of my glass... I just started adding soft corals (lightly stocked) within the past few months and supposedly this is something all reef tanks go through so I've heard.

Is this normal that its moving and will it eventually stop? I decreased my light time and cleaned it during PWC until it went away.. Now what?

image-1216860175.jpg

Gross...

PS this accumulated over a week while I was on vacation and had my mom taking care of the tank. (I lectured her on the whole no over feeding spiel.)

Hmm... Brand new light (maybe a month or two old) its a 6 watt single strip bulb in a 12 gal on for 8 hours a day. Do you think that's too strong?

Yes but the light itself sits on the glass because the opening of the tank was too small. It does well for the coral.

image-1547139474.jpg

The extendable arms do not fit around my tank so it hovers a little.

Yes but the light itself sits on the glass because the opening of the tank was too small. It does well for the coral.

The extendable arms do not fit around my tank so it hovers a little.

That maybe your problem not a lot of air is passing or getting out. Try getting the light off the top and see what happens.

You lost me. The light has legs that actually touch the glass top, but the light itself hovers up about 2.5 inches above the tank so their is air between the tank and the light. I sent a pic if you got it.

You lost me. The light has legs that actually touch the glass top, but the light itself hovers up about 2.5 inches above the tank so their is air between the tank and the light. I sent a pic if you got it.

Sorry bout that. Meant try hanging it over the tank that opening on the tank looks small. I had a 30gal set up with the same problem back in the days was my first tank hung the light and it stop.

So you think I need to hang it higher above the tank maybe? It definitely won't fit over the opening, plus my clowns would be at risk for jumping out.

So you think I need to hang it higher above the tank maybe? It definitely won't fit over the opening, plus my clowns would be at risk for jumping out.

Clowns are not jumpers people have lots of open tops with no covers and have clowns. But you can make a mesh top to cover the opening.

image-2303907759.jpg

I see, thank you.

And mine are still young and are in the bonding process and do a TON of chasing. The male is so quick when trying to escape the female. I've conversed with many other clown owners and many have regretted going without a top because they'd find their clown friends dried up behind their tank. Maybe they are not after they're matured but I've heard many stories of jumpers.

You will always have algae growing on your glass. It is just a stronger outbreak currently because your tank is newly set up. The more pristine the water, the less of an issue it is. My 55 has been set up for a yaer and a half and algae still shows up on the sides. This is why they make products like magfloats and glass scrubbers. Just clean it off with one of these and remember, pristine water will make this less of an issue.

what are your water parameters?

what size tank ?

Algae usually grows like crazy due to high levels of phosphate

It's a 12gal, 76 degrees, SG 1.023, nitrates - .25ppm, nitrites - 0, ammonia - .1ppm (I'm also doing a PWC tomorrow). I actually don't know my alkalinity. Ill have to get a test for it.

I mean phosphate sorry. And the algae started right after the coral and new light. (I'm thinking its the light?)

Yeah I'm actually in the process of working the SG up, and I see the ammonia is high. Ill get on it. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom