Brown Algea????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what I did.

Pulled as much off of the rocks as I could and removed the top layer of sand containing the Cyano.

I also bought a buch of Nassarius snails to churn the sand and a bunch of small blue legged crabs. For you I would recommend about 12 snails and 12 blue legs. they do a good job of keeping it all under control. I also have an Electric Orange Hermit who loves cyano. He helps alot.

It will go away eventually. if you remove most of it and get a cleaning crew to keep the rest in check, you should see it clear up in about a month.

There is a product that works very well called "Chemi Clean" It will remove the vast majority of it, But it will come back unless you take evasive action to keep it out of your tank.

-Matt

More LR WILL fit but there will be not much viewing area left at all. I think it is pourous I guess, I think its pretty light for the size.

OK I guess I need to save a bit of money and buy myself some cleanup crew!

Alright I will see if the LFS has a star. If they dont Ill have to order one and that normally takes a week before I can go pick it up.

I would not recommend a serpent star for a 30 gallon (btw, serpents are different from brittle stars) the serpent will get to big for your tank.

that stuff on the link is chemi cleam. it works well, but its only a temporary fix. not a solution.

You could use more LR, but if you have some mechanical filtration, you can get away with less LR. I have 40 lbs of LR in my 37 gallon and I have a Canister Filter. its all doing a good job to keep my parameters under control.

(btw, serpents are different from brittle stars)
Only to hobbiest. Biologically they are the same. Their behavior is extremely similar also. The only one to "look out" for is the green. Serpent stars have smooth legs, brittles have hairy appendages( that diffference is only recongnized by hobbiest). A 30 gal would be fine for either of them for a LONG time. If the star eventually did grow too large, it could easily be removed and transferred. Being in a relatively small tank will not cause the star any stress as it would a fish.
chemi-clean..but its only a temporary fix. not a solution
Right on.

You could use more LR, but if you have some mechanical filtration, you can get away with less LR.
Only biological filtration can replace LR-bio-wheels, bio-balls, etc. LR is a biological filter. But even bio-balls, bio-wheels, etc. can't compare to LR b/c of the added benefits of the hitchhikers and anoxic areas in/on LR. Mechanical filtration is good for occasional water polishing.

I might get some of that Chemi (whatever it was, forgot, lol)

It would get rid of the cyano, and give me a chance to get a cleanup crew, so when I discontinue it they can keep up.

Also... When can I resume my regular light cycle? its on about a 12 hour cycle right now, I used to have it on a 14 hour.

you can try Chemi-Clean, which is safe for your corals, but as long you are doing WC and Top offs with RO water, it should be fine. for the stuff on the sand, you have to suck the sand with it. This should be only a little sand and not too much. I agree with rocketseason, you should get rid of it physically, because when it absorbs the nitrates, it stores them in the actual mass.

you dont even a "sand vacuum" just get tubing and start a siphon, siphon the sand, water, and cyano :evil: into the bucket. why spend more money on a "sand vacuum"?

Lowes sells a 5/8 inch tubing in the garden/fountain dept. sells for about eight bucks, works great. tubing working over time today, cleaning up my tank. good luck :)

LFS Had something called Maladyl (or something like that) made by a Maddor (or something like that). Its in a tablet form, and its for clout, fin rot, fungus, etc.

The guy at the LFS said it works on cyano. Does it really? I would feel better if I used some stuff MADE for cyano.

It was in a green package.

I can't help you with all of those different chemical choices, the only one I know about is chemi-clean.

Also, the best way to remove the cyano from your sand is with a net. scoop up the top layer of sand with your net and gently sift the sand through it. what you will be removing is the sand with all that cyano junk stuck to it.

It doesn't take much PO4 to promote cyano growth. If you are detecting some with a test kit, that is probably enough. I bought a PO4 reactor from www.marinedepot.com and it cleared mine right up. Two Little Fishies makes one but they are kind of hard to find right now. I bought the new one that Kent Marine makes... works very well. I think I paid around $35 for it. You'll also need some 1/2" inner diameter tubing, Phos-ban or Rowa-phos, and a power head that pumps 80-90 gph thru it. I hooked mine up in series with my UV sterilizer so I only need one powerhead to run them both.

Back
Top Bottom