Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Brown dusty algae

I have some brown algae along the tops of my rocks (not live) i know its off the lights being left on to long, i was just wanting to know if this could harm my fish and if i can get rid of it? Plus what would you guys recommend how long i leave my lights on for?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this a new and/or cycling tank? What kind of lights do you have? Are you/will you be keeping corals?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
Is this a new and/or cycling tank? What kind of lights do you have? Are you/will you be keeping corals?
Thanks for your reply Rick👍Yeah its a cycling tank its been up and running about a month now, just ordinary tubes that i got with the tank dunno what they are bcoz the writing has worn off, i think they are T28 or summit like that but iam saving at the min for some LED lighting and i might keep corals in the future just need more knowledge first bcoz i know corals are very hard to look after! P.s ive just added a Algae Blenny today and he's getting quite alot of the Algae off already he's great😜
Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The brown algae are diatoms. Every new tank goes through it. They'll go away as they consume the sillicates in your tank.

Is your tank done cycling? What are your water parameters?

As for T8s, they won't grow anything. They're really just for show. I say keep them on during the hours you're around to see the tank, but no more than 12 hours a day etc.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
The brown algae are diatoms. Every new tank goes through it. They'll go away as they consume the sillicates in your tank.

Is your tank done cycling? What are your water parameters?

As for T8s, they won't grow anything. They're really just for show. I say keep them on during the hours you're around to see the tank, but no more than 12 hours a day etc.
No probs cheers mate dunno if my tank is finished cycling how can i tell? As for my water parameters they are
Ph- 7.9
ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 0ppm
I know my ph is low but iam trying to get to around 8.2: ) been told they can live at 7.8-7.9 but i dont want to go any lower! Just done a 20% water change about an hour ago aswell.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you ever see your ammonia and nitrite spike?

As for pH, a stable pH is more important than a high pH. Try keeping your top open and aim your powerheads to the surface to get more agitation on the surface.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Did you ever see your ammonia and nitrite spike?

As for pH, a stable pH is more important than a high pH. Try keeping your top open and aim your powerheads to the surface to get more agitation on the surface.
No never seen that and yeah i do have my power heads pointing to the surface. Thanks alot mate.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamers442

No never seen that and yeah i do have my power heads pointing to the surface. Thanks alot mate.
Did you ever add an ammonia source when first cycling? Keep an eye on your parameters and take it slow when adding new fish just in case.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:

Did you ever add an ammonia source when first cycling? Keep an eye on your parameters and take it slow when adding new fish just in case.
No i never added anything! I hope the spike did happen tho bcoz ive got about £100 worth of fish in there iam worried now lol
Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamers442

No i never added anything! I hope the spike did happen tho bcoz ive got about £100 worth of fish in there iam worried now lol
Uh oh :/

Did you recently add all your new fish? How are your water parameters? Did you use live or base rock at the start of the cycle?

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com