Brown growing in mud?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have brown patches growing in my refugium. When the lights are off, it slowly fades away. When the light is on, they come back and become very dark. Is this brown algie?

ForumRunner_20120712_020859.jpg

That's diatom algae, it is eating silica traces from the water column. It is fine in your sump and will soon dissipate as long as you are using RODI for water changes.

Readingexcalibur said:
That's diatom algae, it is eating silica traces from the water column. It is fine in your sump and will soon dissipate as long as you are using RODI for water changes.

Is it bad? I'll do some looking,

It's not bad... Necessarily... Normally it goes away on its own after the food supply is gone. Just don't over feed and watch products with silicates (silica or pool filter sand for example).

More than anything, it's just ugly to look at.

Readingexcalibur said:
It's not bad... Necessarily... Normally it goes away on its own after the food supply is gone. Just don't over feed and watch products with silicates (silica or pool filter sand for example).

More than anything, it's just ugly to look at.

Its only in my refuge, none growing in my tank. I could relocate a snail in there I guess

Wouldn't matter. Like I said, it will go away on its own when the food supply goes away. Snail probably wouldn't make even a minute difference.

Back
Top Bottom