Brown Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermonter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 90 gal reef tank has been up for about 7 months or so and in the last 2 weeks I have lost 4 corals to brown jelly. My first loss was a hammer. I cut off the infected head...but no joy, it spread and took out some really beautiful pieces....

What is this stuff?

How do I get rid of it?

How do I provent it from returning?

I check my water weekly and have the LFS double check it. All the normal indicators are at zero. My PH is 8.3 and I have 4.3 watts per gal.

Thoughts?

Brown jelly infection are common in LPS corals where the water paramaters are less than par. Elevated nitrate being a major source of the problem. If the coral becomes damaged in any way, even if casual (crab/fish/shrimp et al), it can lead to these problems.

Brown jelly should not set in so readily unless the water quality is off some. Are you 100% sure all nitrogens (NH3/NO2/NO3) read zero? Do you know your alk/Ca levels?

What fish inverts are in the tank, do you use a skimmer, how often are water changes performed, do you use carbon and how old is the tank?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom