Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Unhappy Brown Jelly Disease

I've seen several folks post questions about the usual corals that become infected with the dreaded 'brown jelly disease' ..... I had a couple of heads of my torch come down with it a couple of weeks ago. I figured I was ok since I broke off the heads shortly after I noticed it.

Here it is 2 weeks later and I wake up and find my beautiful acan colony dead from it.

Before

After

Boy this STINKS!!!! I didn't think this would happen to acans....Duh, guess I was wrong. I'm sick over it.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Did you see the brown jelly disease with that coral? Or did the fleshy area just recede?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear about that. I hate when bad stuff happens its frustrating but I think it happens to everyone. My starfish I haven't seen in about a week totally vanished I am a bit frustrated myself.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, I woke up to find it covered with brown slime. When I picked it up, most all of the flesh started to come off. What is strange is that it was doing so well that I was thinking I'd get a small frag from it. It was doing so good......Nuts!

Fijiwigi....that isn't the extra armed one of yours is it? I sure hope not. I kinda liked that one alot.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The pic alone makes me feel sick...I can't imagine how you feel. BJD usually starts from some type of irritant. Sand in tissue or tissue damage are common. As you know, BJD is very fast and once an animal is symptomatic it is generally too late. The only tx I have heard of working on a limited bases is using a QT and performing a Lugol's dip on the coral.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not an expert, but I don't think your coral is going to make it XD Sorry, I have a weird sense of humor. Anyways, I too have used Lugol's dips successfully along with applying directly to the tissue. By chance did you remove this coral or relocate to a qt? Judging by the pic and probably hindsight, some of the remaining tissue could have been worth trying to save through freshwater Lugol's dip and direct application. I've brought back Trach's, Zoanthids/Paly's, Euphyllia's, etc. that looked much like yours through such drastic measures...even applying super glue gel's and kalkwsser pastes at the infection borders. What ever you gotta do sometimes! Sorry about the loss, such a shame
Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

brown jelly disease

Wow !!! That was a gorgeous coral....seems like whenever we get something special for ourselves, something happens to it...hope you can replace it soon...heck...incorporate it into a tatoo

Curly
Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, so sorry to read this MsBean. It was a beautiful coral.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lando, you have mentioned something I didn't think of. About 2 days before this happened, I awoke to find this coral up side down in the sand. Obviously my tangs decided to open up a raceway in the tank. I'm now wondering if this had anything to do with it.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBeanCtr View Post
Fijiwigi....that isn't the extra armed one of yours is it? I sure hope not. I kinda liked that one alot.
I loved my starfish. What really gets to me is I have no idea what happened. Water conditions are fine I hadn't added anything new. Just vanished I never found it anywhere. Unless its taking a week long vacation inside a rock????????????

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com