Brown on sand getting worse and worse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
Yes...if they sit in the sock they will break down and redissolve, then produce more algae.

Rosesrblu1 said:
You should be cleaning your filter sock at least with every weekly water change! That could be a Hague part of your problem.

Wow at least every water change! I didn't know that.

My sock is kind of custom, it's that bulk filter stuff u can buy than I used a zip tie to secure it around the drain. It's a pain to take off so that's why I never do it. I should another way so it's more removable.

Can you guys post pics of what yours looks like please?! :)

We rigged ours up and use that floss stuff you buy in bulk and attach with rubber bands. My fish guy actually took the filter socks on purpose with him when he set my tank up because they are a hassle. I have a piece of egg crate cut to size in the first chamber and have the filter floss attached to it with 2 rubber bands. Totally rigged up, but totally works!!!! It's a nasty brown color when we change weekly. Kind of hard to photograph. This could definitely be the cause of your issues!! In the meantime, take the socks off

I'm going to my LFS today to get new material for a filter sock. The sock also helps my bubbles that get trapped in the drain, so less water splashing up and less salt creep. Ill find a way to rig it up for easy replacement.

Anyone please post up your opinions/suggestions!

Gregcoyote said:
However you rig it, you want to be sure it has a way to overflow if the sock or filter becomes clogged.

Ok I'll figure a way.

I was at my LSF and I saw a standard sump filter sock. 100 micron , $12. Machine washable, simple so I went with this.

I might have also found another source of my algae. Since my old filter sock was crap, a lot of particulates were in the bottom of my sump in the first chamber, right were the sock was. I drained all the water and cleaned everything up. Did a 8g PWC too so I guess I'll see what happens!

Moval1 said:
Is it on live rock to? Mine is covered

No. I only got it on the sand.

I vacuumed it all up so ill see if it all comes back in a week or two

IDK if this will solve your filter sock issue, as I don't know what your setup is like, but on the intake of my sump, return from the sump, and return from my skimmer I use cheap panty hose as a filter and way to reduce splashing.

CorallineAlgae said:
It should be miles better than your makeshift one. How are your phosphate and nitrate levels?

Yeah it is! It reduces the splashing too, I hate the salt creep. And machine washable!

I'm out of town right now for school and my father is watching the tank. Ill have test thurs/fri for you.

Sniperhank said:
IDK if this will solve your filter sock issue, as I don't know what your setup is like, but on the intake of my sump, return from the sump, and return from my skimmer I use cheap panty hose as a filter and way to reduce splashing.

My sump intake is on the left and flows to the right.

Enters the filter sock first, than goes though the baffles for air bubbles, my fuge is there with about 10-15 lbs LR, than into the return. My return line had a T that goes up to the tank and to my skimmer that is a HOBlocated in the first section with my filter sock. So my skimmer recirculates the water in my sump. Flow through my skimmer is about equal or little more than half of what comes out in my display

Little update for everyone.

With a new filter sock vs my DIY that was old and had holes, readjusting my skimmer- seemed to take care of the problem.

Only down side is now my Mushroom Coral have all either detached from the rocks or just shrivels to almost nothing!! They were doing great a few weeks ago and recently it's been terrible!

Calcium is at 400

All tests are good too

tnice17 said:
Little update for everyone.

With a new filter sock vs my DIY that was old and had holes, readjusting my skimmer- seemed to take care of the problem.

Only down side is now my Mushroom Coral have all either detached from the rocks or just shrivels to almost nothing!! They were doing great a few weeks ago and recently it's been terrible!

Calcium is at 400

All tests are good too

What's your alkalinity at? The mushrooms detaching indicates something is amiss IMO.

Back
Top Bottom