Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brown stripe?

I put two green chromis in my tank yesterday morning. This morning I woke up to one with some sort of brown stripe on his side and then just a short time later he died. It was really sudden and he seemed fine last night. Any ideas?

Old 11-26-2004, 11:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am disappointed with your pet shop in selling you 2 Chromis. This fish has proved to be nearly impossible to keep in an aquarium unless kept in extremely large groups (20+ or more).

I think the brown stripe was just a color change often associated with this species in the morning as it "wakes up". The death was probably unrelated to the brown stipe you noticed. Most likely cause of death was just stress.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLehr
I am disappointed with your pet shop in selling you 2 Chromis. This fish has proved to be nearly impossible to keep in an aquarium unless kept in extremely large groups (20+ or more).
Huh

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-27-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Have to agree with Steve. I have never heard of any problems with Chromis, in fact they are one of the more hardy marine species. I had a small school adn they lived until a power outage offed the majority of my tank. I still have one, and have had him for almost 2 years I guess. Great fish, who told you that?

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had a lone green chromis in my 20 gallon for 6 months now with absolutely no problems. I realize they like to school and I plan on adding another chromis or two soon, but I've seen no signs of stress since i added him to the tank...

I'm thinking it wasn't "morning sickness" because two fish that were transported in the same bag died with the same appearance.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com