Brown stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run the lights for 10 h,
The sand is 3weeks old.... Just have to wait to die off.
I was just wondering if me adding phyto feast to grow pods have any effect on diatoms...
If yes there is any other way to grow pods?
Thank you

I wouldn't be adding things to the tank to cultivate pods in your tank. There are ways to do so in empty 2 liter bottles.
In terms of hermits and the sandbed, mine just don't care about it at all. I've had different snails for the sandbed, but never had long term luck with them since they eat everything out of there and then starve. The best of all of them was the conch I put in, but the sandbed in my 55 just wasn't enough for it.

I stop adding phyto feast for now, my scarlet and blue leg hermits looks like picking on it but I can see a slow decrease on diatoms, I got a conch to keep the sand bed aerated, just one about 4-5 " big, hopefully is going to get rid of diatoms faster...
Thank you

That's is the stuff growing on my biocube 14 g, diatoms?anyone experienced this?

The brown stuff is turning red-purple color,can see some little bubble in it....
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402183991.054488.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402184015.562217.jpg

I'm feeding meaty food every 2 days and nori every day for my tang,
Should I go every 3 days?

I do monthly ,my sister is over 2 year old but I upgrade from a 30 g to a 70 g last month, I run a canister for a week and everything was fine, all started when I tried to grow pods using phyto feast.... Going to do a water change today or tomorrow and give a good clean....
I told was diatoms,they where going away and I start noticed red-purple, maybe cut 1h off the lights too

If your having cyano issues, your importing more nutrients than your exporting. Decrease feeding ( both times per week and amount of food) and up the water changes. You should really be doing weekly wc's notonthlt. Also if you just upgraded then the system isn't a couple years old, it's a couple months.

Yes I guess the system is only 1 mnt old, the LFS told not to do weekly water changes....
When my 30 gallon was set up I never had algae issue for over 2 year, running a canister....I'm just trying to figure out what is the cause,because I really don't like canister filter,too much cleaning and the nitrate where always a little high....

Yes I guess the system is only 1 mnt old, the LFS told not to do weekly water changes....
When my 30 gallon was set up I never had algae issue for over 2 year, running a canister....I'm just trying to figure out what is the cause,because I really don't like canister filter,too much cleaning and the nitrate where always a little high....

Did they give you a reason for not doing wc's? That's a huge red flag to me, because wc's are an aquarists best friend and first line of defense. No matter what the problem is, you can bet that wc's will be part of the solution. Canisters tend to raise nitrate levels so I'm not surprised by that problem. What other filtration do you have on this tank?

This tank I have refugium with LR,live sand and cheto, and a aquamaxx skimmer, also LR in the tank....

They told me monthly wc are good enought

If you're having cyano, then monthly wc aren't doing the trick. I'd start doing 10% weekly and definitely stop photo feast for good. That stuff is phosphate in a bottle. If you wanna feed phytoplankton either buy live or culture your own.

I have to look into that, going to get ready for a 10g wc, should I run a media filter?

I removed most of the red purple stuff on the sand bed.i can still see some sitting on the sand. Is going to came back tomorrow when the lights turn on?i pointed my power heads to the sand bed so more stuff get throw around for the skimmer to pick up...

Back
Top Bottom